2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best prices? I am looking to buy several dozen. I always miss the deal on here, so I guess I will go with new ones. I would like to buy red heads and other bay ducks but greenheads will work.

Lets here from our bargin shoppers

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Dont buy the cheapos at Academy. They tip every time if you chunk them and they are way to shiney. I have a huge spread of dekes of several kinds and brands I collected over many years. I bought some clearance cheapo ones at Academy for like 15 or 20 a dozen once. Pintails. They sucked. If you set them out in the weather and sun for a year or two they dull up enough so they dont flare late season decoy smart mallards. Fresh out of the box they will flare birds like crazy. They paint shines like a mirror on sunny days. Good dekes start at 60 a dozen. Good dekes land upright if you throw them as far as you can everytime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Decoys

Gandermountain sells greehhead gear brand decoys and have a big selection. I don't know of another store in the Houston area that would have them except for maybe BPS and they only have the Redhead brand which I don't think are very good.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
get gng redheads. i got got mine off ebay all drakes . they are very expensive but the best. and u never have to right them up. they ALWAYS land right side up. all i need is gng pintails now myself. it sucks throwing a deke out and the furthest one always lands upside down. they are heavy though

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I might be getting rid of my old dekes...

I have 6 dozen flambeau (not the newest models, and not the oldest models (slight curved heads) of the pintails and mallards, 1 dozen carrylite greenwings....

Also have 3 boxes of brand new GHG Hot Buy mallards

·
Bird Brain
99 Posts
I might be getting rid of my old dekes...

I have 6 dozen flambeau (not the newest models, and not the oldest models (slight curved heads) of the pintails and mallards, 1 dozen carrylite greenwings....

Also have 3 boxes of brand new GHG Hot Buy mallards
dont mean to hijack the thread here but i would be interested in buying a dozen of those pintail...

·
Registered
740 Posts
G&H

I have bought about every brand of decoys out there. If you want the best go with G&H Decoys. I have 3 dozen pintail a buddy gave me that he bought in 1985 and they still look new. They are twice the price as GHG but worth every penny.

I buy a dozen or two every year and now have about 15 dozen G&H decoys and probably 8-10 other brands of decoys.

Good luck.

Capt. Robert Liebert

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
CRW, ive got to order some new ones first.... but will be in touch. I would rather sell the whole lot at one time so I dont end up with stragglers. Rigged dekes and bags....

Capt RL, I hear great things about the G&H and they seem to be the industry leader in durability.... but why in the world do they look so cartoonish!!! I cant get over that part!!!

Also, to increase dependabilty, put a coat of clear spray protectant on them... I think its Krylon 1311, but dont hold me to that number...

Ive seen it on here a few times, so Im sure someone will chime in.

I changed up my blocks 2 years ago to test out some new tactics, and this included putting a half dozen redheads and a half dozen canvasbacks in the mix... they have alot of white and seem to get alot more attention than my mallards and pintails...

Also, hunting open water, ive done pretty well with about 75 solid black "coots" and the cans in the middle of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have bought about every brand of decoys out there. If you want the best go with G&H Decoys. I have 3 dozen pintail a buddy gave me that he bought in 1985 and they still look new. They are twice the price as GHG but worth every penny.

I buy a dozen or two every year and now have about 15 dozen G&H decoys and probably 8-10 other brands of decoys.

Good luck.

Capt. Robert Liebert
I second the G and H. Buy as many as you can afford then buy a couple of dozen each year. Good decoys

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
One more vote for G&H: I've got pretty much every commercially made decoy brand represented in bags in my barn, and they're by far the best: Ride the waves the best, "sit" the best, wear the best, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Who has the best prices? I am looking to buy several dozen. I always miss the deal on here, so I guess I will go with new ones. I would like to buy red heads and other bay ducks but greenheads will work.

Lets here from our bargin shoppers
Please buy the most expensive ones you can find, I will have much pleasure shooting holes in them.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
stay away from the academy ones. Stay away from redheads, they split at the keel. GHG are ok. G & H is prob the best. I hold out and buy them used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts