2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Bird Brain
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have been messing around with some calls and have been talking to a few friends that guide and such and well i am trying to find a call that is good and raspy that doesnt require much if any extra voice or grunt behind it...i have a very deep voice as it is and when it comes to my calling and any voice into a call is too much. Im not neccessarily looking to break the bank, but i am looking to get a good call that lasts. I like the sounds of the RNT calls but they just require a college student to save some money to afford haha. Got any ideas? I am willing to buy used calls as well if anyone has any theyre trying to get rid of....

·
Registered
351 Posts
You may want to give Charles over at Cadence Duck Calls a call. He makes a call out of delrin that costs $50 bucks as well as acrylics that go for $130. He is a straight up guy who will be honest with you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Duck commander.. no voice needed just add spit

Brown sugar for flooded timber
Camo max for all the rest

·
Banned
436 Posts
i have 15 or so calls, I am by no means an expert. I have a few expensive calls that stay home. The Primos Nag and then a new one Quackhead Calls which is the plastic version made by RNT calls. The J Frame is a very easy blowing call and its $20-$25.

http://www.quackheadcalls.com/

·
Bird Brain
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the suggestions! now my next question....is it really worth spending the big bucks for? ive blown on a few of the higher dollar calls and compared them with the lower end calls and i can definitely hear a difference in the sound and such. for those that spend the big money for them, how did you justify spending that much on a call?

·
"(DON'T FEAR) THE REAPER"
286 Posts
How do you justify spending any money in this day and age on our sport? You don't. You just do it because you enjoy it. Go buy a dr-85 for ten bucks then. You'll be happy with that too. I know I was once upon a time.

·
Bird Brain
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you justify spending any money in this day and age on our sport? You don't. You just do it because you enjoy it. Go buy a dr-85 for ten bucks then. You'll be happy with that too. I know I was once upon a time.
i totally understand what youre saying....i just spend $150 on a jacket that I was supposed to use on a wisconsin hunt this fall and the hunt fell thru and now i have a 4 in 1 jacket that will probably get used twice this season? lol

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Go buy a dr-85 for ten bucks then. You'll be happy with that too. I know I was once upon a time.
Yep. I still am. It has been on my lanyard for 22 years. The barrel is held together with packing tape and will pinch my lip, but it sounds great. The high dollar calls can sound great in the hands of pros, but a regular guy will not make that call any better than an off the shelf call. Go get a $100+ call if you want to impress people, but a duck doesn't know the difference. You wil kill more ducks with a whistle than a mallard call anyways IMO.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm no pro by any means but have found a few tips to that have increased my performance so here's my .02
1) Be where the birds want to be they don't care how much you spend.
2) Find what call fits your style and dynamics. A friend picked up a primo's wench and the call sounds really good for him, so I bought one and discovered the backpressure is really off for my style and ended up giving it away shortly after.
3) Ill never spend more than $30 on a call and the reason is simple.. I don't have to, but there are some that do and that's ok too. If you are ever out and hear one that you like ask if you can try it out.. You might just save some culling $$.

·
Banned
436 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions! now my next question....is it really worth spending the big bucks for? ive blown on a few of the higher dollar calls and compared them with the lower end calls and i can definitely hear a difference in the sound and such. for those that spend the big money for them, how did you justify spending that much on a call?
you can hear the difference and my RNT "Original" Acrylic is great, but they are harder to blow then plastic or some wood calls in my opinion. If you starting out I would by a few cheap calls and get some calling CD's before I would spend the moeny on a high dollar call.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
It don't matter what it cost IF the reed sticks, I hate when that happens....WW

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On a budget, there are a few that I like. Buck Gardner's Double Nasty II. Duck Commander "Willie's Camo Max" or "Sarge" (dont like the cheap wooden 'original'), DR-85 all day. But I did just pick up an Echo XLT and blowing it side by side with the Double Nasty II its a world of difference.

·
Cut 'em!
2,622 Posts
I like buyin new duck calls as much as the next guy, but its as much the indian as the arrow.

I still use a DR-85, a Yentzen/Sureshot (have both the old wooden one and the black plastic), and an old duck commander.

Right now, my lanyard has a Haydel's blue wing call, a whistle and, a primos of some kind lol. Blow the whistle and the teal call the most.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
I like buyin new duck calls as much as the next guy, but its as much the indian as the arrow.

I still use a DR-85, a Yentzen/Sureshot (have both the old wooden one and the black plastic), and an old duck commander.

Right now, my lanyard has a Haydel's blue wing call, a whistle and, a primos of some kind lol. Blow the whistle and the teal call the most.
never perfected the yentzen, but those that have sound great!.... wooden commander for me or an old-style olt's D-2 cut down to perfection for long range hi-balling or windy weather

every federal and state possum cop that's ever busted me have always said, "that's the best calling they've ever heard!"........

you should really hear my specklebelly tho!........

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Best inexpensive duck calls for coastal ducks, (OTMs), In my opinion are the Primos Wench and Duck Commanders Jases Duck Picker (or something like that). Both easy to blow and high pitched. Easy to work fast and not too loud. Best Cheap mallard call probably Haydels Redleg. Don't forget a good whistle and a BWT call. Better than a mallard call in lots of situations.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts