2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is the best one to get. DSL is cheaper.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
J, not to

trump in on yer post.....but do any of you folks have any decent suggestions, for a guy living in the boonies, for an internet provider, something other than dial up?

·
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bert, I looked into that. I could get a satellite dish and hardware for around $700. Then, the monthly internet service was $70 a month. I think you shoudl stick with dial up. LOL Maybe your area is different. Oh yeah, upload speeds are very small as well. You can get a cheaper monthly service for download only. Thats what I learned trying to get faster than 24K on da riva.

·
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yea.. calling Time Warner, these are the prices they told me:

$59.99 for Digital cable/HBO package/iControl
$29.95 first 6 months for cable modem then $39.95 after

This will be like $100 a month for the cable and internet... but it sounds like a cool package to have. Gotta love the price of "extras".

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
CABLE.

I get premium digital cable (15 movie channels & about 12 sports)
cable modem & home security for about $125 a month.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I currently have Roadrunner cable service and it is waaaaaaaay faster than SBC DSL, and none of the headaches. I have a friend in The Woodlands area that has Charter cable and he's had no complaints about his internet connection. I know the cable internet is a little more, but it's well worth it in my opinion. The faster the better.

·
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brew, how is the Time Warner security? Any problems you have noticed? I was thinking of using them for that also, $12.95 a month is a good price.

PS: I hate all this $x.99 and $x.95 junk! Cant they just do an even dollar amount. sheesh.. LOL

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have had DSL and Cable. I have done tech support for both. And if you get DSL, please don't go with SBCGlobal those ***wipes are outsourcing everything to India. You'll have some guy answer the phone with the accent of Apu from "The Simpsons" telling you his name is Steve Johnson LOL!

Cable

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
I don't have T/W. Kingwood Cable/Cebridge is who we use. They are locally monitored so their response time is good from what I hear. Cebridge, out of St. Louis, just bought up KWC so things might be changing.

Jeff

·
Charter Member
225 Posts
Cable!

I agree with TexasDux, SBC DSL is getting worse, not better. I'm really happy that I gave it up for cable. I have Earthlink Cable, even though it runs over Time Warner's wires. Dunno how/why, but I have an earthlink email address, and pay Time Warner!

Go with whatever is the best priced cable in your area, if you can get cable. DSL is better than dialup, even with its hassles. Only choose DSL if you cannot get any kind of cable. Satellite has its own unique set of problems, but still beats dialup over barbed wire if that is the only other option you have. Depends on how much you want to use the internet, surf, download files, etc. All that can be a real pain at dialup speeds if you do it much.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
internet

BertS said:
trump in on yer post.....but do any of you folks have any decent suggestions, for a guy living in the boonies, for an internet provider, something other than dial up?
Dude, what the hisell? I told you the only way to go in the sticks, is YKC. Knew about the satelite mentioned by the one guy. But also knew the price. You have NO other options.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Bert if you are interested I have a Sat dish from Direcway 2 way system I will sell. Whole setup $350. I think with the system already it is like $59 a month. It is a lot faster than dial up. Upload speeds are slower but downloads are fast. Just has a little lag time. Signal has to travel 22,000 miles. I understand they are working on getting it faster though. I had a chance to get on wireless here so I don't need it anymore.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Just one more option

If you do not plan on trying to download large files, there is nothing wrong with dialup. I set up accounts almost everyday. I see people who want the biggest and the baddest or the fastest at whatever cost. I have done everything from simple dialup to wireless networks.
I use a dialup at home. Why? I do not download/upload large files from here. I need a simple setup to help people and have fun. I will also mention that I am online far more that most of the people I have set up, I have far less trouble than they do. I also spend a fraction of what they do.
Don't believe some of the TV ads like "net Zero" that show two computers side by side, one loading pages extreamly fast while the other seems to have serious problems loading the images from the page. Some of the factors they fail to mention is the system/cpu/memory/video and how they are setup. It also does not show what pages are loading.
Granted, if you have the money to spend, go for cable.
Check some ISP's and ask what their average speeds are, and also know how old the wires are in your home.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I'd just like to put my 2¢ worth in

I don't know how the skies are out your way. We live in Miami, Fl. We have had a Direct TV dish (the small RCA dishes) for 10 years. And, of course, we thoroughly enjoy it.

EXCEPT!

When it clouds up in the south or it rains. Then we see the "Searching for Signal" for the duration of the outage, in other words until the weather "in the south" clears up.

If you watch Direct TV and you see their promos for their service, you'll notice every time they say something like "as long as the sky in the south is clear" when referring to their signal.

I don't know about anyone else but I cannot imagine doing anything on the internet and having the internet suddenly drop out, you losing any work you were doing on the net.....because ".....
the sky in the south is not clear".

That's why we decided to stick with out ISP Bell South for the DSL. They don't seem to be affected by anything but hurricanes.

Just something to think about....if it applies where you are.

Aunt Joyce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts