2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Mako that drafts about 1.5 feet and I am trying to figure out the quickest route into Christmas Bay. Is the white path across Drum Bay a known route and if anyone here runs it do you think its safe with a deeper draft boat like mine?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Water Map World Land lot Urban design

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
12,075 Posts
I would strongly advise against anything to do with Drum Bay in anything other than a shallow water running boat......and even then it has to be setup to run shallow.

You won't make it along those paths you illustrated.

The quickest way to Christmas when launching from Freeport is to make a Lil circle....put it back on the trailer and go launch at the county park down by San Luis Pass.... then learn how to get around the sand bars in Cold Pass.

Or follow someone in the channels across Bastrop Bay from the ICW.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Except on the winter and western tide drops, You are good, stay on plane. All that stuff is mud anyway except clearly where the picture shows shell and it just doesn’t come in to play on most tides.
be prepared to shut down once you get into the drum/Christmas channel, get straightened up and send it again. it’s much more narrow than you think and staying on plane just to get into the channel doesn’t always allow you to make a turn up and on your way into Christmas. In fact that deep channel going into Christmas is probably the hardest part, it is very deep but the edges get shallow super quick

·
Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,024 Posts
The old makos I know of may have a floating draft of about 1.5'... but most of them have a running draft with the skeg down of a good bit more than that. Plus, similar to what others have said... if you have to shut down that mako... there's a good chance you'd have to idle out... IF you can. Probably won't get it back on plane.

Use either the San Luis pass county park or Run up the ICW to the West intrance of Bastrop Bay... run it's channels which are deep. Christmas isn't too bad as long as you stay off the shoals that are in it. There is a sand shoal at the exit of colds pass, and a long shallow shoal running across the back of Christmas. Make some waypoints on Google earth.. it's also already marked on Reef Recon... might not be a bad investment in that boat.. all the reefs in Bastrop, Chocolate, Christmas, West... and more are all marked and would show up on your GPS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts