2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I've been having persistent problems with my disc brakes binding. Have replaced pads, checked calipers, bled lines well (I think!) Noticed the emergency lever on my actuator was messed up, had slid down and was no longer functioning, so decided to just replace actuator. The one on the trailer was a Titan that according to the manufacturer is for drum brakes. I suspect the previous owner retrofitted discs on the trailer and kept the old actuator. My question is - will an actuator that the manufacturer says is for drums work properly on discs? The rep at Titan was somewhat vague, the rep at Southwest wheels where I bought a new disc only actuator says a drum actuator would put out too much pressure for discs. So, what to do? My life would be simpler if I could just replace the existing actuator with an identical one, but if it might be the cause of my problems to begin with I'll deal with it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
If your using a drum brake actuator with disc brakes you have to modify the master cylinder otherwise you will have pressure on the calipers all the time. I learned this the hard way while pulling down the interstate and seeing flames from one of the trailer wheels after a caliper melted! See if this article helps. By the way, I got all new trailer parts from these folks and they were great to deal with.
http://www.championtrailers.com/remove_residual_valve.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts