2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that what I'll be doing in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow? All this wet stuff on the road won't be able to dry before the temp falls below 32 degrees. Is there anything I need to know to get me to the ranch safely?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I have bad memopries of a trip back from South Texas one year. By the time we got to San Antonio the road was frozen under the overpasses. By Austin it was all frozen. Spent the night in Waco and by the time I got to West the next day it was fine.

Took a long time to drive at slow speeds, and passed a few vehicles turned over in the median or bar ditch.

Never did like the feeling of the back end coming around on me.

Not something I'd want to do again.

Be careful.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
In the unlikely event the roads ice, put some extra weight (a couple hundred pounds) in the bed, over the back wheels. Stay off the brakes if it gets snakey on you, steer into the skid. Watch the over passes and bridges. I think the only way we'll get serious road ice is if we have freezing rain, it usually has to get in the mid to low twenties to freeze it on a roadway.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
go slow, leave twice as much room to stop as you normally would....oh and most importantly, watch out for the rest of the Texan drivers. :)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
If you don't know how or have never drove on ice, do all the other drivers a favor and stay home.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think there will be many other drivers out at 4:00 am tomorrow, and I've got my mind set on being in my blind as dawn breaks. I'll be driving from Corpus towards Freer on SH 44 (4-lane divided for most of the way, except the last 10+ miles past San Diego). Hopefully there won't be any ice, but the temp should be somewhere near 25-28 at that time. If it gets really squirrely, I guess I'll just wait it out somewhere along the way....

I drive a 4 wheel drive Excursion... should I kick it in 4x4 (high) for the drive?

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
if you drive tommorrow and it has rained in the area.....there will be ice on overpasses......go slow...never go up to the overpass with vehicles in front of you.....never steer the wheels in a diff direction than you are going....they will slide and they have to be staight when you get on the other side......the key is speed ....GO SLOW......

And dont forget when you get where you are going make sure you wash the vehicle.......the stuff they put on the overpasses is very corrosive....wash it off

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
I think there will definitely be ice on the roads tomorrow, be careful everybody, I will watch the comedy on the morning news. rs

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I don't think there will be many other drivers out at 4:00 am tomorrow, and I've got my mind set on being in my blind as dawn breaks. I'll be driving from Corpus towards Freer on SH 44 (4-lane divided for most of the way, except the last 10+ miles past San Diego). Hopefully there won't be any ice, but the temp should be somewhere near 25-28 at that time. If it gets really squirrely, I guess I'll just wait it out somewhere along the way....

I drive a 4 wheel drive Excursion... should I kick it in 4x4 (high) for the drive?
Yep. Great comfort on ice. IF you can shift on the fly I'd recommend doing it when ice is encountered or maybe on bridges and overpasses.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the weather is all cleared up... I don't think ice will be a problem after all...

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
About 45yrs back we started in from Mason, ran thru a Ice storm, my dad drove with 1 side on the rd and the other on the shoulder, I have no idea nor remember how far but we had no problems, just took LONGER....WW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts