2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically speaking... ;)

If you were traveling across North America, what would be some of your dream destinations to visit, and why?

Include pics if you have them. :)

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Wow, so much to choose from..this is America.

Any way to narrow the field down? Sites, Activity??

Off hand, I would pick Mammoth Cave.
http://www.nps.gov/maca/
I like it, neat if your into caves..LOL Plus there is good fishing close. (And just happens to be close to family)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Being the Bicentennial Anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition, I think it would be cool to pull the Chuck Wagon (camper) to St. Louis and follow the L&C Trail all the way to the Columbia River in Washington and back. That would be 2cool.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Old Quebec City during winter carnival is pretty amazing.

Jeff

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Sorry Charlie, LOL! Lewis and Clark stayed on the Oregon side. Made it to the mouth of the Columbia soon to be followed by John Jacob Astor. My Grandfather made the Oregon trail trip in 1957. He let me use his slide show in a 6th grade history class presentation. I don't know about now but back then there were still wagon trails visible.

Attachments

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Redmond, Oregon

My greatgrandfather settled our family in Central Oregon. I was born there.

The pic is Mt. Jefferson of the Cascade Range. The canyon in the mid pic is the Deschutes River, the canyon in the lower portion is the Crooked River. My Grandpa Davidson's ranch was about 10 miles south of here. This is looking west.

I love Texas, it is my home. I got here when I was ten. I have 6 grandchildren, all native born Texans and I am proud. But I have so many good memories of those short little ten years. Family reunions every year, Cub Scouts, 4-H, rainbow trout, mosquitoes in a snow bank in the mts. in July!

My dad visited about 5 years ago. He told me not to go back. Said I wouldn't like it. Might not, too many people. But I sure would like to smell it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
CoolChange©© said:
Sorry Charlie, LOL! Lewis and Clark stayed on the Oregon side. Made it to the mouth of the Columbia soon to be followed by John Jacob Astor. My Grandfather made the Oregon trail trip in 1957. He let me use his slide show in a 6th grade history class presentation. I don't know about now but back then there were still wagon trails visible.
CC that is cool. A few years back we hunted antelope in Wyo. A couple of miles down from us was "Independence Rock." It was the halfway point of the Oregon Trail. The first settlers made it on July 4th, thus the name Independence Rock.

The settlers wrote the epitaphs of there dead loved ones on the rock. You could still see the ruts from the wagon trains.

The pics were very cool.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I guess i'll Hijack threads while Zac is out.LOL

Charlie

·
5,853 Posts
I would have to say Alaska......Nature, scenery, wilderness. I guess the second choice would be Smokey Mountains.

Freespool, that place is awesome. We enjoyed it greatly. Stayed at Yavapi resort at the cayon. We did the copter flight over the cayon and all I can say is WOW...When you fly along over the plains and all of a sudden the plains just falls out from under ya into the cayon...It takes your breath away. Hope yall made the sunset over the cayon, some of the most beautiful colors in the sky and on the cayon walls. We are thinking of going back to take the 2 day, 1 night Mule trail down to the floor of the cayon but are kinda waiting on the new place to be completed..I have gotta go see that sky walk over the cayon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sea Island`

Infamous,
I have been to Sea Island MANY MANY times. Basically kind of spent my summers there growing up (in the good old days). The place has changed a LOT in the last 4 or 5 years. The last time I went was about 4 years ago with my wife. Basically it is "old southern hospitality" at its finest. I always tell people its kind of like being on a cruise ship without being on a ship. Lots of activities if you want. Excellent Golf, offshore and marsh/bay fishing, sporting clays/skeet, tennis, horseback riding, "eco tours" in the marsh, New Spa, 2 swimming pools (adult and kid). The place is mainly families from the Georgia/Alabama/Florida & Carolinas. The atmosphere is a little more formal than you would find at most resorts (1 of the 3 dining rooms is Suit/Coat& Tie only) and you certainly won't see t-shirts anywhere except on the beach or by the pool and even then they aren't that common. Don't know if it still this way, but the hotel actually had a "back staircase" that you had to use when entering in bathing suits (you weren't allowed to enter through the lobby in swim suits). They have Bingo 2 times a week and EVERYONE on the island turns out in their Sunday finest for cocktails and bingo (some of the pots get up to several thousand dollars). Its a quirky place, but I always have loved it. It is probably the best place in the states to take kids during the summer. They basically have what I would describe as a Day Camp for kids. College "counselors" will take them from 8:00 am until 9:00 pm if you want them gone that long and they will be entertained constantly. Anyhow, I would highly reccomend the place if you ever want a first class "Southern" vacation. Take your nice clothes and "Resort Wear" though!!!! They actually still wear Searsucker Suits with white "bucks" and "Patch Plaid" and Madras shirts around there.
And I'm not joking about that!

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Seems like every time I pull out my driveway I'm headed south for some reason or other (Could be 'cause thats the way to saltwater...). 'Tain't often I get north of Conroe so just about any place would work for me.

I would love to see any part of this great and scenic land that I have not seen. Just about anything from Nashville to Butte or Bangor to Baja.

So much to see and so little time..................

Rick, that shot of Mt. Jefferson took my breath away! You take that?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Twin Lakes above the Kilakadraughtna (sp?) river. In Alaska

Just read Dick Proennekke's One Man's Wilderness and you will no what I mean.

·
Stealth Mode
324 Posts
I`m with Rangerjohn. GO to Yellowstone, stay at Old faithfull Inn, eat supper in the dining hall, tour the park. Take 4 days or more, there is alot to see. Then go south to the Tetons. And while you`re at it go to Cody, Wyo. and see the Bill Cody museum. You won`t regret it. Hit mount Rushmore and Devils Tower on the way home. There are alot of places to see in the USA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts