2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime Beltran hits another HR, the price goes up. Anyone want to add their 2cents. What is Drayton going to do? The future IS Beltran, does he open the check book? or does he look else where?

There are going to be some kid of PO'ed fans if he lets Beltran walk to the Yankees or ugh (Cubs). He has a pitching staff coming up soon that will require big money. Berkman will be looking at a new contract next year.

I sure hope the grocery business is making him bundles of money because this wildcard slot is going to cost him big bucks at the contract table.

I do have a suggestion, everyone in Metro-Houston area kick in 20 bucks and we can help Drayton out on Beltran's contract.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Beltran

DannyMac said:
I do have a suggestion, everyone in Metro-Houston area kick in 20 bucks and we can help Drayton out on Beltran's contract.
It might take more than that. Dude is fidna to get paid!

I hope he stays. It's nice having at least one legitimate outfielder out there.
And if Miller and Pettitte are successful next year..........who knows.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
I believe Baltran batted .238 before the post season.

Bigwater

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Bigwater said:
I believe Baltran batted .238 before the post season.

Bigwater
Granted....he just came from the American League and it takes those guys to adjust to pitchers he has never seen. He still almost went 30-30 in that little span. I think 23 or 24 HR's and 28 SB. And what he's doing now on the big stage is ridiculous. The dude is cold as ice.
The Yankees have pitching issues to address, so I don't think they'll pursue Beltran aggressively. Plus, it's known that he doesn't like a "big city" atmosphere. I would think he would take a few million less a year to stay in Houston. Granted, Mclane doesn't come in with some crazy low offer. I can see Mclane anteing up on this guy. The Cubs will be pushing hard though and his agent, Scott Borras, will want top market value.
For those who don't know who Scott Borras is.....A-rod's agent. Nuff said.

New thought!!!!

If Stros win tonight, does Garner go with Munro and give Clemens an extra day for game 7 if necessary. He'll also have Oswald availale out of the pen. AND, should they pull game 6 out, they would have their rotation set for the, uh-ummm.......World Series.

Houstonians.............................REACTION!!!!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Slim left town

I don't see much chance of re-signing him myself. The last thing we want to do is end up like the Rangers and A-Rod where you have one really great player and can't afford to put a team around him. We're a medium market team and medium market teams can't compete for guys like Beltran under the current baseball salary rules. The rules are designed to let the Yankees win every year. The only chance we have is for him to settle for less money the way Petitte and Clemens did. And in Beltran's defense, why in the heck would he do that? This is his one big payday. Those other guys have already gotten theirs. For his sake, I sure hope he doesn't blow out his knee running up that stupid hill we have in the outfield.

Bigwater, come on. No, you're not going to get this guywe have now who is so locked in all the time, but, you have to admit that he is one awesome baseball player. And he hit around .260, not .238. Between the defense, the steals, the additional protection of a long ball threat in the batting order, this guy brings a ton to the table. He will probably be the best center fielder in baseball for the next few years.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
At the end of this season look for Kent to be gone no money for a contract ..Biggio is gone with out large money contract...enjoy Beltran he's as good as gone and Clemens also has stated he will only play if the team is contenders !! and with out them
you all are back to the Lastros!!!!

Oh yes what's with all this WE **** Tonto!! ... none of you play or work for the Astros!!! So why do you speak in reference to having anything to do with them?????

John

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
jtburf said:
At the end of this season look for Kent to be gone no money for a contract ..Biggio is gone with out large money contract...enjoy Beltran he's as good as gone and Clemens also has stated he will only play if the team is contenders !! and with out them
you all are back to the Lastros!!!!

Oh yes what's with all this WE **** Tonto!! ... none of you play or work for the Astros!!! So why do you speak in reference to having anything to do with them?????

John
For the same reason you know EXACTLY what the organization is going to do with Kent and Biggio.......I guess you work for them. Is this Hunsicker?

Hey guys....Hunsicker's a 2Cooler.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
I think Drayton McLane will make a run at signing Carlos Beltran. But (there always is with the Astros isn't there?), he'll keep it within the confines of his budget, hoping that the city, the fans, his teammates and any other intangibles will draw a discount. I think it will help by maybe a million or two per year.The one thing that gives me some confidence is that Beltran is not necessarily looking for the highest bidder like A-Rod did. He is looking for the highest offer with a few of the essentials he is looking for in a city and team. The Yankees will almost undoubtedly be the highest bidder and the team that will likely give the best chance at winning from year to year, but I just don't see New York as his style. He's a quiet, religious guy who kind of likes to fly under the radar most of the season. In New York, you are front and center every single day. At least that's my impression. I could be wrong. Hopefully, his budget will get a little bigger for next year, just as it did for this year. And look what happened. The Astros set a new club record for attendance at Minute Maid Park with over 3 million fans. As Drayton's wallet got larger, so did attendance. I think he took one small step into breaking out of being a middle-market team. Signing Carlos Beltran would be a huge step in moving Houston into being a large-market team, and I think the fans will follow suit, just as they did this year. There is a buzz in this city the likes of which I have never heard in recent years. I just hope Drayton McLane doesn't let it die in the offseason.

By the way, I don't want to see the Astros throw every single cent they have at Beltran. It just wouldn't be worth it. Look what happened to the Texas Rangers when they signed A-Rod for $252 million. They stunk. I could see throwing $15 million a year at Beltran, maybe a little higher, but I think $20 million a year is too much for this team to handle, regardless of how many fans show up at the ballpark.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Lmao

Reel_Blessed said:
For the same reason you know EXACTLY what the organization is going to do with Kent and Biggio.......I guess you work for them. Is this Hunsicker?

Hey guys....Hunsicker's a 2Cooler.
Awesome!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, What do you do with Bag's? Do you make a run at Beltran and ask Bagwell to renegotiate? Biggio did so they could resign Bagwell. Makes for interesting discussion. Enjoy the ride, it may never happen again. Beltran is the future....Biggio is going to be 39 or 40, Bagwell is about 36 or 37. When do you cut the string? Remember, all of the pitchers except Pettite are close to new contracts....Man this is going to get interesting in the off-season!!!! Oh yea, Hey Bud how does it feel????

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Come on there is no cap in baseball. As far as they have come this year, and if the make the big show. I dont think that you couldnt do all you can to keep a condending team together, or atleast try you hardest to do so......................later,Dave

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Keeping Beltran not out of the question.

I really think your looking at 15 -16 million per year for 5 years. Not out of the question. Biggio is in an option year making 3 million. Beltran is already making 9 million so whats another 6 or 7. Kent may or may not be back. Thats 10 million free there if he does'nt return. If they go to the series and win the whole thing It would not suprise me if both Bagwell and Kent retire.
What more is there to do. They are both headed to Cooperstown and will have their rings. Well, while we are planning for next year lets go after Mike Lowell, he wants out of Florida and would be a fine fit. Gater

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Did you forget Rogers multi year pay out for single season service?
He has 05 and 06 payroll hit fairly good for not willing to play then....
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts