2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JP
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does dramamine work for you when do you start to take it the night before right before or what?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
It makes me even more sick when ever I tried it on rough days. The onl thing that ever worked for me was Transderm Scop. It is a prescription bandaid that you put behind your ear and it releases medicine. It is really worth trying it. Any doctor will prescribe it. The only side effect is it gives you dry mouth, but when your in the heat its a good thing to drink more.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Throw a couple Ginger Ale's in the cooler. I will help and better than nothing if you tend to get seasick. (however...if taking friends that think $10 is a fair contribution for the day's fuel...take them out for a seafood dinner the night before...built-in chum churs the next day).

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
dramamine is an antihistamine. motion sickness is caused by the disruption of the fluid balance in your inner ear (from the rocking motion of a boat, or plane turbulence) that normally tells your brain what is up, what is down, and allows you to maintain your equilibrium, and the visual disorientation caused by the constant, irregular movements of the craft. basically, antihistamines dry out your bodily fluids (hence, the dry mouth), thereby minimizing the fluid disturbances in your inner ear (theoretically). the effectiveness of antihistamines for motion sickness is hit or miss, depending on the person. if you choose to take dramamine, take it one hour before departing. drowsiness and dry mouth are common side effects. drink plenty of fluids (not beer).

as mentioned above, transderm scop (scopalamine) is far more effective in the prevention of motion sickness, and has a more complex mechanism of action. side effects include primarily dry mouth, but drowsiness can occur in some, but is not common.

i've logged approximately 10,000 miles crossing the gulf of mexico delivering boats from galveston to puerto adventuras, mexico, and the florida coast, and i have only come close to getting seasick once - in six hours of 10-foot seas - while wearing the scopalamine patch. i highly recommend them.

ginger ale (and any other products containing ginger) seem to be very effective in easing the nausea associated with seasickness.

mastercylinder, r.ph.

p.s.: that's funny, seacraft.

·
BlueDog
93 Posts
The patch, Ginger Ale, Ginger snap cookies, Ginger pills, never consentrate on any one thing for too long w/out taking a break and looking around. Drink lots of water. Good luck.

SK

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
I always take dramamine the night before and then an hour before leaving the dock. It never hurts to have the extra assurance that you most likely won't be bothered by getting sick on your trip.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.