2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here lately we've been having a HUGE problem with tiny little gnats coming up out of our kitchen sink drains. We've tried bleach, fly spray, and vinegar and they still keep coming back. Sink is clean and dry at night and during most of the day but the little bastages keep coming back. No fruit or vegetables stored outside of the fridge. Anyone have a solution?

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,397 Posts
I've got a couple hanging pothos Ivies, but they don't seem to bother them much.
Thats what we had in our office... as soon as we got rid of those the knats left.

I think they lay the eggs/larva in them. When they hatch they find food in the sink or elsewhere.

·
a family of gentleman fisherman....
522 Posts
I hate those things. Exact same problem. Wife found a stainless trash can with vacuum tight light. It's motion activated to open/close. That made a noticeable difference, but the struggle is real. Hard bastages to keep out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
This year seems to b the worst....everytime we get groceries, we end up with them.

What we have done, and it works, is take a tall drinking glass, build a funnel with a sheet of printer paper and hold it together with a piece of tape leaving a very tiny hole at the point. Insert it into the glass with apple cider vinegar level almost to the bottom of the funnel. You will trap a ton and keep those from laying the eggs.

As far as the drain, make sure the traps are full of water in sinks that you don't always use. Pour a little orange oil and as previously said, very sudsy soap. Good luck.

·
Stepped in what?
9,570 Posts
Well now y'all got me wondering....

From time to time in my game room/office in the barn, I feel like something is eating me alive. I'll see one from time to time and kill it, but most of the time they are "no-see'ums".

The ones I do see/kill l look like a gnat, but very few seem to get big.

Wondering if these are drain gnats? I haven't seen any concentration around the trash or drains...but the little buggers sure are hungry for the top of me head!

·
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!
5,367 Posts
Are they knats, or fruit flys?

We have a problem with the latter. Wife would take a mason jar, make a cone out of paper and cut a small hole in the end. She'd bait the jar (vinegar, banana peel, etc.) and then put the cone in the top, large opening up. The flies would crawl through the cone, but couldn't get back out. Think perch trap.

She got tired of these "ugly" traps, so the kids and I bought her one of these for Mother's Day. It seems to work, even catches the wayward mosquito that ended up in the house.

·
Emorys Daddy
1,376 Posts
I keep a squirt bottle of bleach near the kitchen sink and put it down drains few times a week and we had some still this morning. Glad I am not the only one, we thought they came from fruit we buy at the store, but we have them even when none is on the counter ripening.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,046 Posts
It's definitely something organic in the house, they're just going to the drain for water. Since you don't have fruits or veggies out, move the plants outside. We had them here also, ours were coming from oranges. Put the oranges into the fridge and the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Had this problem before.
There is gunk in disposal they make colonies in. It is up high. Roof of disposal so to speak. You cannot see it.
Fill disposal with ice then little water grind it out.
Do it again add ammonia. Seal off for a bit and do it again.
I killed 100's with the little cups etc. But they kept breeding. Not until I used the above solution did it stop.
Clean disposal and then kills the rest.
It works.
Fought them for months before reading about and using this solution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts