2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st Question : I got a cannon downrigger with a 2 foot arm and I want ot troll for kings and anything else. What size weight should I buy? and how far down should I let the weight down? This is my first downrigger and just thought I start small.

2nd Question : where is the nearest location to go for any kind of tuna besides the store?

I am willing to trailer the boat a hundred or so miles if it make my boat ride shorter.

Thanks, Nelson

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
1.) They should have different weights for different speeds, ask your local dealer.
1.2) Look at your fish finder and set your down rigger for the depth that you see fish.

2.) Gulf shrimping season is open now and you can find BFT behind the boats, Beside Venice, LA, Matagorda on down would be my first choice, then anywhere else behind the boats... the deeper the better...

BTW ...I Ain't no expert!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
A 10lb. wieght works good in most conditions. You need that much weight to help prevent blow back. There some now for higher speed trolling. Depth just depends on the fish that day, try different depths until you start getting strikes then you will know the right depth. Usually as the sun gets up they move deeper as a rule. Good luck.

Andy
Captains Playmate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts