2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the proccess of trying t download mcafee anti virus and then it brought up a notice that I can not have norton on the computer as it would not work in conjunction with.

So I uninstalled norton and now I cannot connect to the Internet to finish downloading the rest of mcafee. I have windows vista premium and I think windows' security is preventing me from getting online. I have tried everything I could to get around it. I am somewhat limited in my computer knowledge. I also think windows has disconnected from my modem and will not connect back to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I am using my iPhone to post this. Good thing I have this.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't even get on the Internet to download anything.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Norton and McAfee are both resource hogs. I will second the AVAST advice. Make sure you also have a good malware tool like malwarebytes

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
then use different computer or get someone to download the removal tool and put on a cd/disk or usb drive for you
Will do that tonight. Thanks.

I would switch to something else but I just paid for a year of mcafee. Didn't even think about avast. Oh well next year. Or if mcafee makes me angry enough I will just go ahead and switch to avast and forget about the money. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Bill correct me if I am wrong but can't he do a restore and go back to a restore point when the computer was working right?

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Yes I understand that. But at least he could get back online to download the removal tool then remove Nortons

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am not able to download nortons removal tool from another computer tonight as I had hoped. I am going to go to a buddys place in the morning and download what I need to my hard drive from his comp.

Also I am thinking about going ahead and downloading avast to my hard drive as well. I will call mcafee Monday and get my money back since they have a money back guarantee for 30 days.

Will I need to download a mcafee removal tool as well?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All fixed up! Thanks alot guys.

After I ran the Norton removal tool and it was completed I was able to get back on the internet. I guess whenever I tried to uninstall Norton it blocked me from getting to the internet.

Running Mcafee currently. But, will call them monday and cancel and then switch to avast.

Again the help was greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts