2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted near Sheldon on Saturday and 15 of us had easy Limits. Hope to have the same thing this weekend in the South Zone. Anyone hunting Friday?

Redfish Bob

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
I Can't Wait Till Friday!

Hunting outside of George West this year for the first time. I usually make the longer trip down to around Cotulla.

Our fields in the Katy/Brookshire area were a bust this year for the central opener so I can't wait for the south opener!

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Redfish you live around there? those pipe yard hold some killer dove. We hunt a feild between miller two and three right on hwy 90. but I will be heading to garwood this weekend for some teal and dove limits. Heading out thurs. afternoon! come on long weekend!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i got a hunting party line up for friday. There seems to be a few birds, but not like it was 2 weeks ago. I went out scouting yesterday, still some birds comeing in to town late. I heard the weather man say maybe rain, and a cool front for thur, fri. Dang the bad luck, if only they would have change the south zone start date. EEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR it tick me off. I think the reason they want change it is because they dont have enough warrens to go around. HAPPY HUNTING.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had good hunts in that area for years...

...there are several reasons that I like south Zone hunting:

-Generally, if you find a place with good mourning doves on opening weekend, it will continue to hold a few of the locals all through the season, PLUS, whatever had drawn the locals in the first place, seems to draw migrating doves as they get here...

-Unless a really severe early cold front extends past San Antonio before the end of October (which is very rare), migrating birds don't move any further south, which means you have birds all season 'cause, after opening weekend, there's generally not enough hunting pressure to move them out...

-Most of the small towns are all holding a local population of white-wings and there's plenty of milo and corn being grown just about anywhere. If you can line up a place just outside of town between the crops and the town, you'll get a good opportunity to close out your limit with W-Ws if the mourning doves haven't been thick...

South Zone bird hunting holds special memories of my son that I'll cherish forever. At 5 and 6 years of age, he was my bird-boy at a on ranch near Piersall, picking up birds out of peanut fields and whooping with glee as I dropped a double right in front of us close by the waterpens. At 7 and 8, on the same ranch, he was part bird-boy, part hunter. I watched him stalk a cotton-tail with his Red Ryder for at least a couple of hours one afternoon. Popping the rabbit from 25 yards away. The bunny would hop off for 40 yards and stop and the stalk would start all over again. I bet the two of them circled that hilltop at least 3 times. I still have a 12" inch long tortoise shell he toted home from that field 15 years ago. Near Three Rivers, he busted his first dove with a cutdown 20 ga. single shot at 9, but decided one was enough and didn't shoot it again 'til the next season. At age 11, smack up against the west shoreline of Lake Mathis, he busted the firing pin in that old single shot taking 5 or 6 birds with it as we hiked the valleys and ridges around the lake. The next day, on a 2 acre pond about 8 miles east of Beeville, the mourning doves were so thick coming into the water that you constantly had your pick of shots. It was one of the most dramatic flights to water that I've ever seen. Using a model 1200 20 ga., borrowed from my brother to replace the gun with the broken pin, he was as busy as any of us. Back at the barn, picking birds under the floodlights, he stepped up to the table and, never saying a word to anyone, he pulled a limit of doves out of his shooting vest one at a time and laid them right in the pile with everyone else's. For a couple of years after that, he shot with a Mossberg 20 that we picked up at gun show in San Antonio. We took it home and cut about 1" off the stock. The year he was 14, I was shooting white-wings outside Hondo on Friday, which was opening day. Since it was a school day, he couldn't come along. The birds were coming over as high as B-52s and, by noon, my old 870 12 ga had beat me into the ground. I ran into Hondo and bought an 870 20 ga after lunch trying to cut myself at little slack for the afternoon hunt. The next day he's with me and as I started shoving 20 ga shells in my pockets, he asks if he can use the 12. I doubt he's ever shot a 20 since. We were hunting with a group of guys that get together for opening weekend every year. All experienced and accomplished shooters. He was the first one back at the trucks with a limit. Beat most of us by an hour or more. One guy came up later and told me he didn't like having kids on hunts 'cause he didn't trust them around guns. He went on to add that he'd be glad to have this one come back any time or anywhere. Of course, once he turned 16 and had his own wheels, most of his hunting was with his buddies and not his dad. We were lucky to get one day in together afetr that. His HS graduation present from me was an 870 12 ga Wingmaster. He's 23 now and the Wingmaster is in storage until next season. This season he's spending with his Marine Corps brothers in Al Anbar province as a vehicle commander on a heavy gun Hummer. His name is John, pray for him, pray for his brothers-in-arms, pray for our president. Might even throw one in for me, it's gonna be a tough season.

Bob

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Ditto on the prayers

That sounds like a fine young man you have reared.

I'll be (God willing) in Eagle Pass/La Pryor/Uvalde area come Friday morning hoping to pop off a box or two. I hope the weather cooperates. That front that is out there could just about do us in for the whole weekend.

At least I live in Texas!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waterspout said:
Redfish you live around there? those pipe yard hold some killer dove. We hunt a feild between miller two and three right on hwy 90. but I will be heading to garwood this weekend for some teal and dove limits. Heading out thurs. afternoon! come on long weekend!
No Live in Deer Park but it is only 20 min from Sheldon. The field we hunted was just a Grass field how knows what they were eating. I know one thing, South zone is looking great if we do not get much rain between now and then.

Redfish Bob

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Hey Weedless,,,no prob on the prayers, sounds like ya'll have had some great times together. My son is 13 and I remember every fishing and hunting trip we have been on together since his first official trip with me and his paw paw at age 3.....I hope he gets to come home soon because I know ya'll have many more trips planned.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've spent a season in bosnia, and one in Iraq (Desert Shield/ Storm). Thoughts and prayers are with all.

Your e-mail made me think of hunts with my dad in the coastal marsh, Tx Hill country, and fishing trips on the lake.

One thing I can assure you of, is your son as well as all of the others who hunt and fish, have a much better chance of surviving than those who don't. I don't mean this to sound harsh, b/c God Bless ALL our men and women in uniform.

From personal experience, hunters notice details. We see movement, hear sounds, and notice things out of place b/f others do. This helped keep me alive through 15 firefights (10 Irag, 2 Bosnia, 3 Central America). Your son will be fine, he's with the greatest military in the world.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Maybe the cool front coming our way will push a few more doves down by this weekend. I was really looking forward to a healthy dose of dove. Our place has been loaded but everyone in the nearby towns are now saying the dove are gone and I didn't go down this weekend to look so we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts