2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has turned out to be a good year again. I had my doubts we were all over riding 4 wheelers last Saturday before we hunted and did not see 1 dove.

For some reason when we went to the spot they were there again, thanks to the Mojo we got some shots. No one limited but we all had a nice sack of birds and plenty to eat that night.

The real point of this post is my story. So I shoot at a dove and it is obviously wounded but won't go down. It lands on a fence about 100 yards away. My buddy offers to go get it, I said wait a few min. sometimes they will just fall off. So we wait and he finally says I have some 6 shot I will go try to get him. He makes it about 50 yards when the bird picks up again and flies another 50 yards.....I can see the glare from my friend as his walk just got farther...LOL. About this time what looks like a missile comes falling out of the sky, its a hawk. This thing seemingly came out of no where and obliterates the bird in a poof of feathers. It stays there for about 10 seconds then flies off with my bird. I thought it was really neat and in all the dove hunting I have done I had never seen that. Just wanted to share.

Also went yesterday eve. the wind had them in high gear and they were really moving. I did probably pull off the longest shot I have made though. After an easy miss I put another one out there and it looked way way to far. It dropped like a rock with one BB in the head. I stepped it off at around 45 yards with 8 shot. I lead it but what seemed like 1.5'. Hope everyone has a good season.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On opening day my son and I were hunting. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot something zooming towards the ground at about a 45 degree angle.

It was a Perregrine Falcon and he flies into a hackberry tree and dove just explode out of it. About 10 seconds later he comes flying out with one in his talons.

It was pretty incredible.

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
I saw a great horned owl nail a skunk ... yes, a skunk last year right at dark. Kind of fouled up my bow stand but what great, and economically affordable cover sent.

Cool story ... I haven't busted one bird to date this year ... **sigh**, work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts