2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went and scouted out some places for duck hunting this evening in corpus in some back marshes. Didnt do very good finding any hunting spots but i did manage to find a few reds and a ton of doves. I was curious if you are allowed to hunt in the water for those dove. I know you can hunt ducks there, but are you also allowed to hunt dove? There are everywhere!

·
The Migration Stops Here
2,342 Posts
Don't see why you couldn't hunt dove in the marsh as long as it is public, but I would maybe be careful in shot choice. Considering that you aren't supposed to shoot lead over water, you might have to shoot 2 3/4 inch Steel 7's...

If I lived close I'd be the first to join you...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good point about the lead. Is that just curtosy if I dont use lead, or is it a law that you cant use lead loads in the water?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am not sure about the lead over water thing. But they are starting to make a few steel dove loads. I would call Texas Parks and Wildlife and ask them for a definite answer.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Lead can be used for dove, just not for ducks. That's how the law reads.

The fact that you are hunting over water, doesn't have anything to do with it.

Now, if you were hunting ducks and then planning to hunt the dove in the same place then you'd be wise to shoot only steel. A game warden would have a problem with you having lead and dead ducks at the same place.

·
Registered
374 Posts
good question

I sent TPWD an email and waiting on the response. I am pretty sure hunting over public water way one must use non-toxic shot. I'll post up the email when I get a response. Jason Slocum

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
The law doesn't say anything about hunting over water. It says dove may be shot with lead. That's been the gripe, all along. Why is it legal to shoot doves with lead in a field that will be hunted for geese or ducks, later? There are people who've pushed to make steel a requirement for all birds, not just waterfowl.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Its about the shot size. Dove loads (Very Small) compared to large pellets easier picked up by birds feeding.

SpeckledTrout said:
The law doesn't say anything about hunting over water. It says dove may be shot with lead. That's been the gripe, all along. Why is it legal to shoot doves with lead in a field that will be hunted for geese or ducks, later? There are people who've pushed to make steel a requirement for all birds, not just waterfowl.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
SpeckledTrout said:
big difference is FEDERAL MIGRATORY WATERFOWL vs. MIGRATORY GAME BIRD!

IT'S THE FEDS NOT THE STATE THAT MANDATED THE STEEL LAW

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
You're right.

It's the feds. BTW, how many of you have shot ducks/geese with old lead shot still in them when you finally killed them? I've seen it countless times. They were doing fine until they received a "lethal" dose of steel. LOL

·
Registered
374 Posts
TPWD Response

I asked "If I'm hunting doves on the coast (marsh) on the bays do I need
to use not toxic shot?"

The reply was "Not unless you are hunting them along with waterfowl. Only waterfowl may be hunted out on public waters, not any other species."

So as long as your not hunting ducks you can fill the bays with lead shot? Or can you only hunt waterfowl over public waters? Jason Slocum

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Jason Slocum said:
I asked "If I'm hunting doves on the coast (marsh) on the bays do I need
to use not toxic shot?"

The reply was "Not unless you are hunting them along with waterfowl. Only waterfowl may be hunted out on public waters, not any other species."

So as long as your not hunting ducks you can fill the bays with lead shot? Or can you only hunt waterfowl over public waters? Jason Slocum
sure looks like only waterfowl,, BUT,,, it doesn't specify hunting the banks VS. hunting a public water way... I'd ask that question a little differently or call the TP&W office and talk to a Warden for a truer definition,, it's the out on Public water way that throws the curve... if your in a marsh and not in a boat on the open water it looks as if you'd be OK,, MAYBE

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Only waterfowl may be hunted out on public waters, not any other species."
I've never seen a situation where I'd want to hunt doves over open water.

I'm pretty certain you can hunt railles with lead, as well. It's been a long time since I've hunted any, but I don't think the law has changed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts