2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
I would recommend being familiar with the regs on hunting dove (migratory birds) over grain fields. They are fairly specific about them being for agricultural uses, etc. Just my .02. Milo, corn and sesame seed are some of the most productive grain fields to hunt in for dove.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sunflowers: native, perodovich and hybrid. Millet, Sesame, Game bird Milo, pigeon peas, Corn, Soy Beans. A mix will help insure at least one is successful and alternate 50' rows of high and low plants will provide cover for hunting.

Check with your county agricultural agent and the game feed suppliers they can give more specific advice on planting times and fertilization. Check any local seed suppliers or co-ops as they will have the varieties that work and may be cheaper than ordering.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just disk it up in the winter and let mother nature take over. Usually there are plenty of seeds lying in the soil to have all sorts of stuff come up that the birds like to eat...sun flowers, goat weed, croaten, and so on. This has been my experience anyways.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would recommend being familiar with the regs on hunting dove (migratory birds) over grain fields. They are fairly specific about them being for agricultural uses, etc. Just my .02. Milo, corn and sesame seed are some of the most productive grain fields to hunt in for dove.
It is not illegal to plant food plots for migratory birds, even without any agricultural purpose...what is illegal is to plant the food plot without an agricultural purpose and then later to manipulate the food plot.

For example - you can plant 5 acres of millet, corn, and sorghum to hunt on, with no other reason so long as you do NOT mow it, shake stalks, drive 4-wheelers through it to put seed on the ground etc.

So long as the plot is left mechanically untouched, its legal....note though - putting cows in the field to knock seed onto the ground has been considered manipulation by some wardens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts