2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wade fishing for trout and redfish turned out better, depsite higher tides. Most reds came over grass and mud with a few bigger reds being fooled over shell mud mix. Trout were in waist to chest deep water. Best color and lures were Norton mardi gras sand eel jr. Our dove hunting was not hot and heavy like years past, but we did manage to get our allowed birds when it was all said and done. The better shooters took the hunt to the birds and moved under the better flight paths.

Thanks
Capt. Chris Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Guide Lines by Capt. Chris Martin

A windless evening has once again come and gone, and the sun is already raising the brow of the upcoming day’s eyes as we head at a brisk pace, accompanied by a preferred and predominant Southeast wind, toward the high ground. Oyster shell pads and reefs, that is, with that ever special mix of just enough bottom-mud to make up the initial ingredient for this day’s most special three-part recipe for success. Recalling the recipe in its entirety, I throttle the advancement of the sleek Majek Extreme to a mere crawl as we come to close quarters with today’s inaugural wading ambition, a destination encompassing miles upon miles of a seemingly endless mix of mud and shell. Next, and with dawn’s dimness rapidly evaporating with the oncoming brightness of the sun, I strategically position the boat atop the long reef in the morning’s high tide. In doing so, I note a welcomed presence of the recipe’s second component. The reef is covered with what appears to be a brilliant, and most desired, margarita-green colored water. The cake is now almost totally baked, and it’s time to apply the frosting. It’s a topping, in this instance, representing the third and final recipe constituent, and this morning it is portrayed by the simple existence of a strong tidal current movement in and around our immediate target location. With the wind continuing to gradually grow in strength throughout the course of the day it signals to our senses the approach of the forthcoming Fall fishing pattern. This morning’s presentation of these compelling conditions cast a repeat image in my mind of my past few outings.

As you may have imagined by now, spending some quality fishing time during the early part of October amid the numerous shell/mud reef locales in the immediate San Antonio Bay vicinity could certainly prove most advantageous in your quest for peek performances. However, and aside from the attractive easy-wade locations that oyster shell can provide, I must warn everyone of the precaution to never discount the surrounding banks and shorelines. Yes, it is commonly known fact that the higher, saltier, and greener waters of Fall shall set the shell on fire, but one must not forget the target availability furnished by the neighboring thick grass-to-mud transitions that will be holding some of the season’s larger trout along the grassy edges of the bay’s shorelines. With the higher tide scenarios that we generally encounter during this period of the year, it will be of utmost importance for shoreline waders to begin utilizing the contour of the bay floor to their advantage. This concept is what I like to refer to as the practice of CDR (not CPR), or the Contour-to-Depth-Ratio practice. Take a look at your local area fishing map, or in some instances your GPS or other electronic fishing tools, and study the topographical features of the water line as it directly relates to the adjacent shoreline. In setting up for your shoreline wading session, key-in on and concentrate your efforts on those areas of water that are the deepest, yet closest to the bank/shore. You’ll be pleased with the results!

As we head into October, there are other factors to take into consideration for those wishing to be proactive in their approach for success. Pay special attention to the fact that the days will be getting shorter, resulting in less sunlight hours each day. It is at this time of the year that I generally begin transitioning to the presentation of dark-colored lures, and will even start to experiment with some of the more common plastic suspending baits like the standard sub-surface B&L Corky, and its cousin the Fatboy. Keep in mind the importance of the imagery of the bait’s silhouette. These darker, suspending lures tend to imitate a silhouette more symbolic of that of a mullet vs. that of a shrimp, and the darker the silhouette will mean better reflection of the bait against the upward sunlight. The primary bite will come during the very early, and very late sunlight hours, but with the days shortening, even the most infrequent fisherman should be able to take advantage of these time periods.

Over the course of the next three months, and in the advent of the cool, light air signaled by autumn, the hot, heavy atmosphere of summer shall continue to lose the battle between the two seasons. Autumn’s cool weather shall signify a flourish of flounder fishing action up and down the entire coast. As the coastal waters cool, these highly sought after flatfish that have spent the summer in the bay, will suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to migrate. As they begin to do so, look for flounder gigging to become somewhat superior in nature.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duck, Dove, and Fish

Tex57,

Hey, thanks for the PICS. We're glad you guys enjoyed the trip. Today was the opener of big duck season. I have added a few PICS from the past two days.

Again, thanks so much for the business and friendship.

Capt. Chris Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
Don't shoot all them doves or catch all them fish before I get there on Friday. I'll sick Walker on you if so.

Scott

by the way, have you found my poles yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts