2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

doug pike

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Wedge 
#1 ·
did anyone else get a little tead off at last weeks outdoor section ole pike wrote last week about catching big trout. i've been reading his stuff for years and i've noticed one thing. he cant hold anything back. he tells the whole world everything. if i was schuppe i would be hot. telling the whole world how and where he caught his leading trout. that was unbelievable. and that aint the only time pike has done this. he does it all the time. especially about public hunting. its bad enuff to find a good spot to hunt , but when you find one he tells everyone. he writes some good stuff most of the time, but sometimes he goes to far, and this time along w/ a report he gave off a few years ago about some good duck hunts he has crossed the line.hes gone from writing a neat little story every week to just all out ruining a spot. i still cant believe he did that last week! unbelievable.

#6 ·
it takes more than knowing the spot and what bait to throw. i'd say 1 person outta 30 that used the info from that article, might get lucky and catch a big fish. one thing i remember from a long time ago was launching at a small boat ramp on a cold and windy day. i asked the proprietor about a spot, and he replied, "where?" i proceeded to pull a map outta the boat and the look on his face was priceless. his response was "oh, you're map fishing..." although i've been chasing trout for a long time, i have yet to master the jetties. oh, i've gotten lucky, but wouldn't bet a dollar on my chances at the jetties on any given day...

now put me on my favorite flat in knee deep water and all bets are on...

#9 ·
well i hit the jetties every now and then and i know a guy who jetty fishes religously and i didnt know (never asked ) that they fished the channel side. after that article it aint hard to figure what they do, he almost gave the gps coordinates. plus he just guessed, but it was a real good assumption. this dude has a history of it and it aint good. a couple of years ago we were on the ducks at a refuge. well ole doug finds out ,writes a big ole article and the next weekend there was 400 guys waiting in line. next thing you know it was the worst mornings all year. sometimes all the info aint good. its better to just go out there and learn it by trial and error.

#11 ·
TEALnexttime said:
well i hit the jetties every now and then and i know a guy who jetty fishes religously and i didnt know (never asked ) that they fished the channel side. after that article it aint hard to figure what they do, he almost gave the gps coordinates. plus he just guessed, but it was a real good assumption. this dude has a history of it and it aint good. a couple of years ago we were on the ducks at a refuge. well ole doug finds out ,writes a big ole article and the next weekend there was 400 guys waiting in line. next thing you know it was the worst mornings all year. sometimes all the info aint good. its better to just go out there and learn it by trial and error.
You were hunting public land and Pike wrote a story about hunting the same public land and a bunch of people showed up to hunt. I don't think it was personal, probably just a coincidence.
You want privacy get a lease.

#12 ·
Yea, it wasn't a secret to those more or less in the know, but now every yahoo that can read a paper is going to attact the jetties.

The good news is that now you know where all of the yahoos are going to be.

Loose lips crush honey holes! There are many loose lips.

#13 ·
I read papers, and the web fo fishing reports. I listen to 2 radio shows regularly. Pikes is one of the shows I listen to every chance I get. I think he reports what he knows. Sometimes I get the impression the whole story is not being told everywhere. I feel akward when when subtle hints lead me to believe that "off the air" information is being held back.

#15 ·
Pike??

DOn't get me started on old pike. He is a jerk, and i do not like to badmouth people. A few years ago i was working for an outfitter on the west side and we had a ton of guys out for dove hunting on this huge plot of land on opening day. Had all kinds of food and beverages for everyone. One of my other friends was working for a different outfitter down the road and they were skunked opening morning. He asked if Pike could join us for a shoot and some food. He showed up and shoot his limit in 2 hours, eat some food and had a few drinks. He did not even say thanks for the hunt or food. It was all free to him. But the pisser was his article the next day was about the other outfitter and how dove hunting can be hit or miss. Never mentioned us or the outfitter. Now that is downright tacky
sorry for the rant

#16 ·
wetluers said:
Yea, it wasn't a secret to those more or less in the know, but now every yahoo that can read a paper is going to attact the jetties.

The good news is that now you know where all of the yahoos are going to be.

Loose lips crush honey holes! There are many loose lips.
Tim -

I agree that the honey hole of the jetty's will be crowded, but this mention of this spot in this article is the same thing as the last several years. It's not the first time in the paper or radio or whatever.

It would still suck, though, if it were a real secret honey hole and I found it....then I would be bent!

Those that want to fish the nasty ol' jettys....go right ahead. Operation Game thief could fund the state treasury from that place.

#18 ·
I haven't fished the Surfside jetties in the past couple or three years but I used to be somewhat of a regular down there before that. I meet Kenny Schupp there one June morning and he turned out to be one heck of a nice guy. There is very much a reason why his name is somewhere on the leader board almost every year. From the moment you spot him you just know he is all business and has his type of fishing refined to an art form. Yet he gladly took the time to answer all of my "how do ya know & where do ya" questions I asked him that morning.

I was only on the rocks for a couple of hours that morning and in that time period he never had a single bite even though a couple of people near him had strung several 16" - 18" trout apeace. You got to know though, when he gets bit, it's a serious bite.!

Personally, I enjoy "The Inside The Great Outdoors" show that Pike puts on every Saturday morning. I have e-mailed him several times regarding different hunting and fishing issues and he has always responded quickly right back to me. Besides, who here appreciates him about promising to never talk about Michael Jackson! LOL!

#19 ·
boayouboy hit square on the head .pike probably doesnt even own a boat and hits ALL the public spots. and free loads off the rest. remember hackberry, well that place was just a name on a map a few years ago. ole pike goes down there on a free trip , comes back ,writes a story in the paper....well the rest is history. he does this ALL the time. i am just using the latest article as a example, what those guys do aint no secret, i know that but you still dont write stuff about what people do or where they hunt/fish.and you guys who think sharing EVERYTHING is good , well you get to your favorite spot w/ fish all over it one morning and someone sees you catching em, and pike writes it in the paper and next day all of houston is there and tell me you feel the same way.i doubt you will.

#21 ·
I catch a lot of trout....and some times they are large. I share my secrets with my family and we all guard them tightly. It took lots of years and lots of blue collar money to learn our secrets. Now....I am not so anal that I can not take a friend fishing. When I post on this board I give solid reports with general locations. No gps coordinates. I mean I don't even use one unless I am offshore. We have learned the water we fish well enough that we are successful. We also know which boats to look for as we know the locals and they fish every day. If they are in the area they are most likely on fish.
There are some common denominators in salt water success; tidal movement, bait, structure, and seasonal patterns associated with fresh water in-flow and salinity levels. I have fished salt water since I was old enough to remember. It seems that all of my fishing success came from within these boundaries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.