2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just couldn't see going to work on Friday so we loaded up with "no-nickname except for sometimes Mahi Ed" Ed and "Brad can't remember his handle" Chad. Light winds and fair seas, along with some Sirius classic rock cranked up made the trip out enjoyable. Everyone whose been following my tale recently can understand how great it was to be back on the blue.

We hit the obligatory couple of 100' spots and the triggerfish ate everything but the lower units....although they tried.

First deeper set of rocks hadn't been hit in awhile. That became rather evident when Bayduck's first retrieve on a big grub had a couple ling following it like it was Gulf Greyhound Park on Friday night. As usual, panic insued as we threw everything but Chad at them (note - Chad was pleased with our decision).

First ling was carefully brought in since he was too close to call. One hand on the leader and FLING, in he comes. After the square dance Ed and I had as the ling took over the cockpit, we got him measured. Lucky boy 'cause back he went. In the meantime, we have #2 hooked up and #3 & 4 are nosing around. The rest was a bit blurry. 15 minutes later we had 3 fish in the box and one joyous ling released.

We had had a couple cutoffs so decided to try out our new "Gay Wahoo Mann's Stretch". In he goes with "Purple Nurple". Purple Nurple is the most chewed on lipped bait you'll ever see. Even lost him once but foul hooked it with another lure and got him back! For more fun, we ran out a Tiny Texas Turd behind a bird (man, us outboard guys just LOVE to run as many pink birds as possible).

Somehow the wahoo all changed color to look like kingfish and 3 of them made quick work of the spread. The turd freed himself after a king launched itself and the bait about 10' out of the water.

It went downhill from there. First, one kingfish exacts revenge and puts a treble in the wireman's finger. Before pain and rational though triumphed, said wireman decides he doesn't want to be hooked to a good king and frees himself with a hard pull and choice language that would make even 3Sheets blush. The second larger king goes postal on me and decides to beat me up until I get him released. It was the marine equivalent of having your grandfather beat you senseless with his oxygen bottle.....as amusing as it was humiliating.

Having all the fun and pain we can stand, we push out to our deepest spot. We score a few snapper (nothing notable) and Chad boxes a nice grouper. Bayduck hooks an Ohio class boomer, gives it the live bait for a few seconds, hooks up and gets cut off. I also had a bragging size run from something that didn't know it was hooked before it threw the hook.

Somewhere in here Ed catches our first pompano although I can't remember where.

Great stuff. Got pounded on the Beltway on the way home. 70 degrees at 9:00pm was all we needed. Deep fried ling and potatoes on the driveway while Bayduck made grouper sushimi......

Gundoc - Thanks for the dock when ya'll pulled out. Did you see the guy that came ramming through in the yellow/white flats boat and took the spot? How 'bout the center console charter that tied up PERFECTLY in the middle of the outboard dock at Bridge Bait while boats were idling in the channel. Welcome to summer, I guess. There but for the grace of God go I and all that.

Ya'll keep an eye out for Double Up and say hi if you see us.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
the ling are every where. we picked up 2 out deep and when we took our fish remains to beach bait cleaning area the carcass cans had lots of ling in them including mostly under size fish. glad you guys got a nice grouper...rick

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I hate that, where are the game wardens at? I am very careful with measurements and I wish everyone else was or that there was someone there to enforce it at least. They bug ppl on the boats in the channels, why not wait at the dock?

·
Registered
410 Posts
[email protected]*%ing Report

Great report. Glad y'all were able to get out and get after 'em. Of course after reading that report I have a few choice words about my inability to have made it out to the deep blue!

Y'all pray for me - I spend the next week and a half between Philly / NYC / and NJ. I hope I dont start talking like 'em!!!

Scott

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Great Report Guys. Glad you got to stretch your lines a bit. Would liked to have been able to go but the back just won't play for now. Good thing is treatments start this week so, Lord willing, I'll see Blue again soon. Next time, I hope. BTW, nice Grouper!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts