2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everyone in the state decided to fish on Saturday, we left at lunch for an overnighter. It was nice not having to slow down when we hit the jetties. We didn't have the range to hit the current change showing on Hilton's new software so we opted for the Intersection rigs.

We hit a couple spots on the way out with the usual suspects (kingfish, triggers, etc) and pushed deeper. Didn't see more than 3 flying fish on the trip out.

Arrived at the intersection around 5 pm. We pulled the greater intersection area Saturday afternoon and boxed a couple wahoo and a couple blackfin. The blackfin were aggresively feeding on the surface when we caught them. Saw it several times during the trip. We caught some 'cudas as well but not as many as we're known for. Seems like the tourney boats put a hurt on them. Didn't even see a billfish.

After a very pleasant moonless night, we boxed a couple AJ's at the rig. As I was telling Bayduck "it's time to go", our last hardtail gets smacked hard. Ed buckles up and we get ready for a record AJ. The water was so clear, we saw the long brown (and tiny) AJ? down deep and started to laugh. That hammerhead just kept getting bigger and bigger. Turned him loose after guessing he was 7' and then some and starting trolling again. After a couple hours, we needed to head to the barn.

Hit a former rig location on the way and saw a funny thing. It seems word got around we were coming and every barracuda in the Gulf met us at this spot. At one point, I bet there was 40+ 'cudas sorrounding the boat. Sounding the retreat, we headed to our last spot.

Made our last drift at a new spot and caught another AJ. When it got to the boat, #2 was close behind and we got him as well.

I'm sure the crew will start posting pics and filling in what I missed. Please keep in mind any shot of me without a shirt on has been doctored to hide my washboard abs....lol

Enjoyed having "Game On" Trevin join us for the first time along with regulars "Mahi Ed about to have his second child" and Jason "Isn't it about time I got a nickname".

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
You mean these washboard abs??

What a great trip, Troy and Brad were excellent hosts. Ed did a great job showing that shark who was boss.

Brad, you forgot the best one of all. After pulling baits, we decided to bring them in and found nothing but an eyeball on one of lure hooks. Guess you can say we caught him looking.

Lots of fun had by all.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was just about to ask...

where the report was from the !Double Up! Glad to hear you had a safe and successful trip deep. Was sorry to not be able to buddy boat with you. Just wasnt ready to go that deep without at least one shake down. Now that the cobwebs have been knocked off, (and after we get our stern light back on) we will be ready to go.

We stayed close in (E21, A50A, Fogg and in) on Sat and trolled with smaller stuff. (I still cant seem to make myself stop and drop) One small dorado to show for it. Heard of quite a few folks getting dorado off of the several weedlines we saw, we just couldnt seem to find them. Was nice to run out at 35 mph and back in a 40 mph and not get beat up.

Scott

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Gawd Almighty! Y'all run your marlin outfits out of the kingfish outrigger holders? I see the safety lines but trust me, that is dangerous. I don't even use 'em anymore for kingfish. Had too many slips, trips, and falls trying to get the dern rod out, and that is with my partner who is 6'4". Heck, I don't even really trust the welds holding them on. I can't imagine what an amped up 600 lb blue would do to it. Ever notice when you make a sharp turn the tip of the rod is pointed right at the lure (perfect for a '"clean and jerk" if a fish should hit). By the way, all the flying fish were north of you by about 30 miles, in real shallow (less than a 100') of water. Good luck to y'all, and watch them rods close!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
Lessons Already Learn.....

Shimano 50 flew right out.

Saftey lines on all rods and additional bungies on the kingfish rod holders. Anyone that turns the boat that sharp doesn't get to drive anymore AND gets to clean up the mess that they have now caused behind the boat. I hear you about the welds on the KF holder, but it's the only way we've figured out how to drag 7 baits.....Any other ideas would be greatly apprieciated .

The issue of a big Marlin or any other fish that can pull #22 of drag are the same. Getting the rod down is not a one person job...although I think Mont could get it done. :)

I know.....Parker is going suggest a big boat...lol

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
LOL! Yup BD thats what I was gonna say, also was about to tell James to ask about a tld50 from last year that went into the drink...kaplusshhhhh.

How come ur hiding what kind of lure ya'll were using, was it the pooplure?

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
Not sure

About a poop lure.....(that's between you and your buddy)..... but had one lure taken away by a poop rigging.

We found an area that had hardtails and BF chunning the water. As we made a pass the Tiagra 50 starts singing hard.......pulled the hook......Wrong, pulled the crimp........."I'm FIRED !"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts