2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Houston Chronicle fishing report a couple of days ago it read that Dirty Pelican Pier reported excellent trout action with a few fish crowding double digits. Was someone on crack????????

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
Probly not

Doggett's usually pretty reliable. STAR tourney still lists the top upper coast trout as being in the 9lb range. I guess whoever caught these fish weren't entered. Bet he's sick about that!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
That's what I wondered

Brian Castille said:
In the Houston Chronicle fishing report a couple of days ago it read that Dirty Pelican Pier reported excellent trout action with a few fish crowding double digits. Was someone on crack????????
I had to re-read that section twice. The trout I had been catching in the surf lately were barely double digits in length, let alone weight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't know if you were talking about today's paper, but the report by Doug Pike that a guy caught a 10lb. 5 oz. trout yesterday is correct. He caught it in the surf on a norton sand eel jr. BTW, he is in the star, middle coast though.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double Digit Trout

I saw the one in the paper yesterday. I just think those pier owners are full of schitt most of the time. Every time I used to go it was, "You should have been here yesterday." Who knows though?

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
haha.....you're getting worked up over nothing. Double digit trout equals more people on the pier at 8 dollars a person equals more money in there pokets. Now get back to work and quit surfing the web during working hours.

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Just wish we could get on them...right Cracker man? It's only a matter of time. I got the Ultralight hooked up to the truck and ready...look out fish.

·
Registered
268 Posts
okay im not so sure on the accuracy of the 10+ lb trout but i would definetly put money on it. it might be an attempt to get more pier traffic, but i would not doubt that someone did in fact catch a double digit trout. I have fished there 3 times this past week, not the pier but waded the surf within 5 miles from there. i have landed 3 trout over 26 inches and lost one that was way over 26. the largest is 28 inches. none of these even come close to 10lbs but there is a good possibility that there could be one that is lurking around 30-32 inches. i know that is a big difference but there is definetly big trout out in surf right now.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
Glaveston Daily News

‘Dirty’ not such a bad thing

By Vince Stiglich Jr.
Correspondent

Published July 30, 2004

Generally speaking, when an individual comes across a place with a name that begins with the word “dirty,” a red flag often goes up with the memo, “avoid at all costs.”

But not always. Thursday, I had an occasion to chat with the owner of a pier located in Gilchrist on the northeastern edge of Galveston County, and not only is it a premier setting for individuals from Southeast Texas and beyond, it’s also a haven of incredible fishing action.

Dirty Pelican Pier owner Gary Bomar and his wife, Cheryl, not only operate the place over a 12-month span, they also reside on the pier, and that’s not a bad situation in which to be, especially if fishing is your forte. And when fish are caught, which is often, Gary will go so far as to close the tackle shop down in order to get a piece of the action for himself.

But there’s more. A few days ago anglers were catching speckled trout left and right, and when sizes were mentioned not only did double takes occur, a few individuals even went so far as to triple their pleasure.

“Heck, we catch speckled trout of 27 to 30 inches regularly,” he says. “Just the other day we had specks that averaged 10 pounds, and that’s a fact.”

And, when anglers who are currently participating in the STAR Tournament pick up that kind of news, here’s three guesses where their next outing will be, and the first two don’t count.

Much of the activity occurs at night under the pier’s lights, and specks such as cited above are found from one end of the pier to the other. And consider that this is on a structure that extends almost 300 feet into the Gulf.

The most recent action has been on Speck Rigs, but live shrimp and finfish also produce well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Caught some trout there...

I'll tell you what. I don't know about 10+ lbs but I do know it can get real hot aout at that pier. Awile back some buddies and I caught more trout there in an hour one night than I usually catch in a day. A couple of them were real big. I've never been one to care too much about the specifics as far as size is concerned, but some of them were bigguns. They'll get in there under the light. A good place to go if you don't have alot of money or have a bunch of kids with you or something.

·
Registered
268 Posts
the number are there, but not always the size. if you want easy limits use soft plastics (flapping tails) tandem rigged. but that means you have to weed out most dinks and sand trout as well. if you want keepers evertime in gilchrist, use topwaters. i dont care if the water is brown and seas is 1-3 ft. i had 30 trout one weeks ago. with 2 over 25. only kept 6 small ones.

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
It dont matter lower, upper, middle, southern, northern,all togethern. The Star is were you catch it at. When you regester for the Star its a Texas thing.I live in Deer Park and fish The upper coast most of the time. I can go to Padre and fish and catch a 30 lb trout and win. So if this 10+ is there and he was a member it will be on the board.

correct me if Im wrong.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Yup WTG CCA, killers of the biggest trout all for a tournament that really ups there membership number but not actually members. What's the latest trout measure that CCA pushed for over and over again, something about a trophy trout protection rule....lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts