2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on the dolphin 40 hr trip on june 3. The fishing was slow, but we still managed a good haul of fish. One problem was that everytime we headed to one of the Captains Snapper holes, we had a commercial boat shadowing us. The Capt. was reluctant to go anchor on his good spots and let those guys know where they were. Can't blame him for that.

I went so I could try some jigs. If you dont have them in your tackle box, you are wasting a lot of time. I only fished with jigs and live bait. Those that fished with cut bait caught more small fish in the slow areas, but when we were on the fish the jigs ruled. I caught a limit of kingfish up to thirty pounds in twenty minutes. The only reason it took twenty minutes is I had to change my hooks out when those toothy devils chewed up my kevlar cord. I only lost on jig the whole trip. Never pulled out a butterfly jig, i'm boycotting them. If I ever do use them and lose them, they wont be replaced. They have stolen enough of my money.
The Dolphin is not a fast boat and the accomendations could be better but, the Capt and crew a second to none. That's why I keep going back. Besides I'm there to fish not sleep and they keep you fishing. When there was a tangle they were on it quick. You catch a fish, they got it off fast. These guys really work hard and the advice they give is top knotch.

The catdhes were:
Snapper
AJ
Hoo
Grouper
Ling
kings

Attachments

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
wed159 said:
The Dolphin is not a fast boat and the accomendations could be better but, the Capt and crew a second to none. That's why I keep going back. Besides I'm there to fish not sleep and they keep you fishing. When there was a tangle they were on it quick. You catch a fish, they got it off fast. These guys really work hard and the advice they give is top knotch.
sounds like you had a great trip, thats my biggest complaint about the Dolphin, its slow and uncomfortable and it wastes too much time traveling, but there is nothing bad to say about the crew or the captain.

The Dolphin definately needs to be repowered w/ something faster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is sloooow. I have another trip scheduled for September, probably my last until they get more speed. I would like to spend more time fishing and less time traveling to them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Was that captain Dean? He has some AWESOME spots and he always protects them. He can spot them commercial boats from miles away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good trip. What kind of jigs were you using and what size? How deep were the kings and snappers what you caught on jigs. Did the kings bit through the kevlar on the first bite? Would it help if you had metal wire assist hooks or would you think the bite would slow down if you were to use the wire assist hooks?

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Great report wed!

I've always caught fish w/Capt. Dean!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I like the Capt. also. I like the way he walks the top deck looking over your shoulder, giving advice and making sure people like me were catching, improving technique. One of the reasons I go is to get the expert advice.

As for the jigs. I was mainly using the williamson benthos 10 oz. I also used the Snapper slapper, but I didn't have it tipped so it was not as productive as the metal.

The only jig that got bit off was due to a kingfish before I knew they were there. I used a tyger wire leader approx. 12" and didn't get bit off again.

The jig I used on the kings was a smith jig. Very productive. I had assist hooks made out of tyger wire that I didn't use. I wanted to see how effective the kevlar was against the teeth. Although I didn't lose any fish due to bite through of the kevlar cord, the cord was so frayed that it had to be replace after each fish. Conclusion, use tyger wire on assists if you're fishing for teeth. I thinkk if I had caught a larger fish like that big wahoo, I would have lost that battle with the kevlar. The bites I was getting were vicious.

I was catching my kings in about eighty feet, but they were hitting on floating ribbons and top waters. It was a sight to see them crashing the top on the top waters.

The snapper I caught hit the williamson on the drop. Somtimes in about 70' and other close to the bottom 180. It depended where we were fishing.

You really want to maintain contact when the jig is going down or you will miss the strike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks wed159 for the info. Was the kevlar assist hooks bought or you made them? If you made them, what was the test pound. I got some yellow 500lbs kevlar for the assist hook, do you think too heavy (thick)?

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
seahorse13

What jigs were you using? The butterfly/knife/arrow jigs originated in japan/korea and are not created for hoo's and kings. I use them effectively for bottom/middle column fish and also tuna. I just used a pink shimano butterfly jig yesterday on a party boat and outfished everyone except on guy who was free lining. I'm cautious about freelining on party boats because of tangles. I hate diamond jigs because their so tiring on long range trips. If you love jigs, try raider/sumo/salas style jigs. They can be wired very easily and use good treble or single siwash hook-perfect for kings or wahoo's. You can easily modify your other jigs by wiring the hooks. If you love fishing for wahoo and kings, try topwater plugs and burns bombs II.
I totally agree with your assesment on the Dolphin at Dolphin Docks in Port Aransas. I went out with them several times and the crew was great. I liked the shorter greek captain-can't remember his name. The other boat sucked. The dophin is too slow, uncomfortable, and the bunks sucked. I got the bunk with the pipe overhead and couldn't sleep on my side. Had to wrap a arm around it to be comfortable. You should try gavleston's Cpt John (williams party boat) or the Big E in freeport. The Big E has spacious bunks, killer ac, and microwaves so you bring your own food-cheaper and better! The cpt in freeport is very aggressive and the crew rocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts