2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pet peeves is people driving while on the cell phone, or worse...texting! Yesterday, while driving towards Seabrook from Dickinson on 146 a car in the lane next to me was really holding up traffic. I looked over to see what the problem was. He was busy texting rather than keeping up with traffic. He really stood out....it was a Texas State Trooper!!!!

This morning, same drive. This time another guy is doing the same thing, holding up traffic and not paying attention...while he read his email (guess on my part) on his laptop while driving! I can only hope he was posting a fishing report on 2cool!

Tropicalsun
Rob

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
True story:

Driving home from work one day on a two lane road through a subdivision. There are two drivers in front of me. The one in the right lane is driving 10 miles under the 45 mile speed limit. The driver in the left lane is keeping pace. I'm behind her, and there is a line a mile long behind me. Finally, the driver on the right makes a turn onto a side street and I can pass the slow moving lady in the left lane. I look over .... and she is knitting. I can see her hands perched on the steering wheel moving the needles. Unbelievable.

Not 10 minutes later on the same road, I have a driver jump lanes and nearly hit me. I slam on the breaks and move into the next lane to avoid being hit. Catch up to that guy .... and sure enough he's texting. He's got the ol' Blackberry perched on the steering wheel and typing out what looked to be a doctoral thesis. Gave him the dirty look and moved on.

Problem is we take driving for granted.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
At least the lady was knitting and didn't show you a phone and mouth the words "Can't you see I'm on the phoine?" :)

Yes that really happened to me .. I posted a rant on that some time ago.
What did we all do without cell phones and laptops?

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
it didn't get much press around here because of hurricane ike, but on the same day that ike paid us a visit, a freight train collided head on with a commuter train just north of los angeles. 25 people were killed and dozens more were injured.

the ntsb is still investigating, but it is believed that one of the train engineers missed a red light telling him to stop and yield to the other train because he was distracted while text messaging on his cell phone.

·
archTech
8,621 Posts
Javadrinker said:
What did we all do without cell phones and laptops?
Drive safer and paid less for automobile insurance. Some people can do it but most cannot...it truthfully is not the time or place regaurdless.

·
archTech
8,621 Posts
I had a guy T-Bone me in my neighborhood who was not paying attention because he was on the cell phone...get this...his occupation was...a plant safety inspector.

·
Old Guys Rule (When we're up to it)
1,259 Posts
A couple of traffic lights on Barker-Cypress are still out post Ike and the traffic is horrific. I hate it when someone at the traffic lightless intersection thinks they are helping when they insist that you or someone else going first when it is their play while treating the intersection as a 4-way stop. Jeesh!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
How are you doing Rob? I know your house in Miramar probably took some water. Hope you are holding up OK. Let me know if I can help out.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In the past three months, I've almost been t-boned twice at the same stop sign in my neighborhood by people on the phone and didn't even slow down. People lose their minds when they are driving and talking. I use a blue tooth as I find myself much more attentive to the road with my hands free.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
I don't think hands free, blue tooth or any other device is going to be the answer. Texting while driving is just plain stupid, and people lose their minds when on the phone.Just because it isn't in their hands (clipped to the ear instead) doesn't take away from the real issue. That issue being, talking on the phone while driving, in whatever form that phone may have. I know I'll catch heat for this but I think cell phones while driving should be outlawed. I see it every day, some idiot going 35 (or 95) in a 60 zone, with very little attention being paid to what is going on outside the windshield.........

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
pg542 said:
I don't think hands free, blue tooth or any other device is going to be the answer. Texting while driving is just plain stupid, and people lose their minds when on the phone.Just because it isn't in their hands (clipped to the ear instead) doesn't take away from the real issue. That issue being, talking on the phone while driving, in whatever form that phone may have. I know I'll catch heat for this but I think cell phones while driving should be outlawed. I see it every day, some idiot going 35 (or 95) in a 60 zone, with very little attention being paid to what is going on outside the windshield.........
you won't catch heat from me, I agree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts