2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any good tips on catching dolphin best way to work a weed line, best baits trolling casting ect. I just bought my first offshore boat and have caught lots of Kings,Snapper,Ling and some Grouper on trips with other people through the years, but havent caught any big Dolphin thanks for any Info.

·
Registered
403 Posts
the big dolphin (34#) that i caught on 6/19 we were working weedlines by motoring up to them and the chuming the bait fish and chicken dolphin out w/ pieces of spanish saridines.

chicken were caught on pieces of the sardines, hook striaght tied w/ no wieght

the big boy was on a large weed patch by himself and was caught on a whole spanish sardine rigged on a green king buster.

justin

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good tip

If fishing around weedlines for dorado and they aren't holding right underneath the weelines, try this. Bring a bucket of sand and mix chum(small pieces) in it. Make a ball about the size of a softball. Drop it in the water. It will create a trail of scent and chum. It will bring them and whatever else is holding deep up to investigate. Sometimes when it is hot and still the dorado and especially kingfish will hold deeper to keep cool.

·
Registered
105 Posts
dolphins

If you get into the chickens they are a hoot. Leave the 1st one you hook in the water till you get another. As long as one is hooked up and in the water the others will hang around. They are extremely curious and will follow just about anything you drag thru the water. Might have to tease them a little to get a hook-up but once you do you will probably catch several more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My favorite fish!

Of couse I am yet to catch a wahoo or sail, but man I love big dolphin. I really think they love the "blue" water, but the biggest one I ever hooked was less than 10 miles out of SLP. (threw the hook after 5 awesome jumps) Weedlines are great, but floaters are even better. With all this flooding there should be alot of junk in the GOM, look for logs, lumber, anything floating out there. I have even heard of people anchoring debris as a dophin attractor, but I am pretty sure that is illegal in Texas waters, not sure about federal though. We found a 4' by 8' piece of plywood once that must have had 20 nice dolphin on it 8lb to about 25lbs. We caught several nice ones, but the biggest ones just sat there and watched catch their little brothers and sisters. Still a heck of alot of fun. We have caught several when chumming for kings as well, but we were not targeting them, just a bonus.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts