2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about the Dolphin Docks. I am booked on the July 29th 40 hour trip. The guy said they don't allow braided line. Is this really the case?

·
Banned
96 Posts
I have no idea if thats true. Im going July 8 on a 24 hr. I figure if its your gear why would you not be able to use braid?

Kevin

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
They may be worried that your braid will cut off anyone elses line it crosses. I go out with Deep Sea Headquarters every so often and they have never said anything about braids, and many of their setups use it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've fished several times on DD with braided line. I have always had a topshot on it but the deckies were well aware I had braid on and they didn't seem to care. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get on the boat and fish.

Cameron

·
Registered
48 Posts
Depends on the captain. I've used it several times on the Dolphin Express, but one time, with a different captain, I was asked (told) to dump it. The explanation was that he didn't want it to end up wrapped around his prop shaft (?).
Gotta do what the Captain says...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
That does not surprise me. I was on a 40hr last year in a hot bite and one guy who just could not follow the "no angles/no tangles" rule happened to have braided line. He cut me off twice, and many others. The last straw was when he hooked a big shark and cut off many folks within a few moments. The deckhand walked up, cut him off and told him to put the reel up. That's why I have had a pet peeve about braid. I have definately been cut off before on mono, but this guy with the braid seemed to be wielding a light saber. I now realize its the fisherman more than anything, as I have never had this occur on big e trips, and I am about the only one not using braid.

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
jig said:
That does not surprise me. I was on a 40hr last year in a hot bite and one guy who just could not follow the "no angles/no tangles" rule happened to have braided line. He cut me off twice, and many others. The last straw was when he hooked a big shark and cut off many folks within a few moments. The deckhand walked up, cut him off and told him to put the reel up. That's why I have had a pet peeve about braid. I have definately been cut off before on mono, but this guy with the braid seemed to be wielding a light saber. I now realize its the fisherman more than anything, as I have never had this occur on big e trips, and I am about the only one not using braid.
I doubt a deckie would do that w/o prior problems from the same person, because if they do that, there goes their tip.

With new fishing methods (like jigging) how can you not use braid? I just dont see them not allowing braids, its the only way to fish

·
Registered
973 Posts
A lot of insurance policies on charter boats don't allow for braided lines to be used on their boats. Too much of a liability. Imagine if you had your hand wrapped up in a tangle and a big aj latched on the bait dangling below the boat!!! Someone would end up with a hand that looked like it had been filleted.

LJ93

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
shanker said:
I doubt a deckie would do that w/o prior problems from the same person, because if they do that, there goes their tip.

With new fishing methods (like jigging) how can you not use braid? I just dont see them not allowing braids, its the only way to fish
I guarantee you Jason's tip went up because he did it. I personally tipped an extra $25.

I don't use braid, and I do fine. Virtually all i do anymore is jig. But, all I fish are party boats, and I have seen too many nightmare tangles to deal with it. If I tangle, I can cut mono, tie two back to back uni knots, and be fighting or fishing again in about 30 seconds. However, I would likely use braid if i fished private boats.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I can tell you this much. When I was a deckhand and we had someone that was making our day and ALL the other paying customers upset, he got cut off.

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
jig said:
I guarantee you Jason's tip went up because he did it. I personally tipped an extra $25.

I don't use braid, and I do fine. Virtually all i do anymore is jig. But, all I fish are party boats, and I have seen too many nightmare tangles to deal with it. If I tangle, I can cut mono, tie two back to back uni knots, and be fighting or fishing again in about 30 seconds. However, I would likely use braid if i fished private boats.
I have some experience w/ jigging, and at any depts over 100 feet, mono is worthless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts