2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went Out Of Freeport Yesterday. Caught Lots Of Dolphin Brought Around 30 Home From 3-20 Lbs.

What Is The Best Way To Clean Them?

Also Got Our Limit Of Kings (8) And One Spanish Mack

Had A Great Day. Hopefully Have Pictures Tomorrow To Post

Another Question. We Were Trolling Around 60 Miles Out In 160-180 Ft Of Water. Had A Stike Like No Other I Have Ever Had. I Was Using A Tekota 800 With 50 P Line About 500 Yards. Could Not Get Out Of Rod Holder For At Least 20 Seconds Within 1 Minute I Was 3/4 Spooled And Broke The Wire On The Trail Hook. The Fish Never Broke The Surface. My Question Is Were We Out Far Enough To Hook Up With A Wahoo. I Have Never Caught On Before. I Do Not Believe It Was A King. I Have Caught 40 Lb Kings They Do Not Pull Like This Fish Did.

·
Vendor
1,584 Posts
Could have been a wahoo, that's definatly wahoo water you were in. As for the dolphin, I like to leave the smaller ones whole (gutted with the head removed) and the bigger ones you can get some nice fillets off of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Likely Hoo

We landed hoo at 30 miles three weeks ago out of Freeport and again yesterday inside of 40 miles. Heard of them caught around 20 miles out when the water is just right.

Really big hoo can smoke and smoke some more. Personal best is just shy of 100# caught in Trinidad and it fought less hard than the 45# hoo I landed 20 miles off Port A a few years back. When they want to run, just about nothing can stop them and their teeth are wicked on even heavy wire.

Bet it got quiet after that commotion? Sorry the fish won this time, but it's jut that much bigger a thrill once you have one smack'n on the deck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Most likely a hoo.I had the exact same thing happen to me last year.Bythe time I got the rod out,what ever it was had just about spooled me.Good feeling though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts