2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - my friend's dogs are digging out and her neighbors are tired of them running loose. Is an electric fence still an option these days? Where do we go to get it? Her only other options are to chain them (which she does not want to do for obvious reasons) or take them to the SPCA (which is a death sentence.) Can you guys help with some info on how to do the zapper fence?

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Put chicken wire all the way around the fence about 2 to 4 inches under ground. Then cover it up. Dogs will dig to the wire then stop. Fold the wire so part is on the fence and the rest is on the ground.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
You can go this route as well. It's safer since only the dogs wearing a collar will get zapped. Some really stubborn dogs will just suck it up and run through them but if they have to dig under a fence to get out, I don't believe any dog is tough enough to suck it up that long.

http://www.invisiblefence.com/
http://www.invisiblefence.com

·
Registered
617 Posts
i had the low volt fence wire it worked very well,once those moist noses touched it yeoow!they (2 labs) learned to stay away after awhile.i even turned it off andthey stayed away.the down side is weeds and grass need to be kept off the wire as it grounds it out. also found a few small birds deadaround the wire every now and again.also don't check the wire while drinking alcohol .i grabbed the wire hmm no shock,put a bare knee on the ground touched the wire yeowww. wife said dogs don't wear shoes.anyway my buddy has the invisible fence with the collars and is very pleased with results.there is a little more installation involved and some light training of the critter involved .you don't even see it,no gettingthe weedeater wrapped around the wire,and no 10 year old boys messing with it.you can have your pet in the front yard and he will stay there,so i would go with the invisible fence.i also tried burying wire ,concrete,etc they just dug it up or found somewhere else to dig.hope this helps (also if there are small kids that come visit they can get zapped as well)

·
Native Texan
10,977 Posts
I understand that there is a new invisible fence that works on a radio wave principle, when they get too far away from the base, the collar shocks them. They have to be trained to know the boundaries. The invisible fence principle will work if the dog is trained correctly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Our first pair of labs became escape artist when my buddies Rot showed them how to slide under the chain link fence, then how to nose up the gate handle. bought the electric fence, installed it and was testing it with a tester. wife asked how the dogs would find out about the fence, i pushed them into it and they got zapped good. after a couple of weeks i unplugged the fence and never had a problem again. we moved to another house and took the fence with us and ran it around the new fence. we never turned it on and never had escaping dogs. they learned on the first shock about that fence.

get the electric fence letm get zapped once and leave it on for a couple weeks then turn it off and see what happens.

and yes my country cousin introduced me to an electric fence when i was a kid and that one was huge, covered a huge field. dont remember the power of the unit but when you grabbed that wire you knew it. cant wait to show my nephew.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
First- what kind of dogs? if they are labs or APBT's or other big dogs i suggest the cattle charger that you can buy at lowes for 29.99.

if they are little dogs they have a charger for pets thats about 50.00.

my back 2 acres are elec. fenced with the cattle charger and wires running top and bottom. as long as its on, they dont get out!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
i had the low volt fence wire it worked very well,once those moist noses touched it yeoow!they (2 labs) learned to stay away after awhile.i even turned it off andthey stayed away.the down side is weeds and grass need to be kept off the wire as it grounds it out. also found a few small birds deadaround the wire every now and again.also don't check the wire while drinking alcohol .i grabbed the wire hmm no shock,put a bare knee on the ground touched the wire yeowww. wife said dogs don't wear shoes.anyway my buddy has the invisible fence with the collars and is very pleased with results.there is a little more installation involved and some light training of the critter involved .you don't even see it,no gettingthe weedeater wrapped around the wire,and no 10 year old boys messing with it.you can have your pet in the front yard and he will stay there,so i would go with the invisible fence.i also tried burying wire ,concrete,etc they just dug it up or found somewhere else to dig.hope this helps (also if there are small kids that come visit they can get zapped as well)
LOL... mine has been urinated on a time or two by drunken friends!

have also found squirrles, birds, ducks, fried to the wire

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Ace Hardware sells a kit for $40.. fido shock..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought an innotek in ground fence but got the upgraded wire and ran it on my existing fence.The wire does not have to be buried.You can adjust the amount of distant it takes for the collar to start alarming then shocking from the fence.I aquired a boxer because he was a climber and the previous owner was fed up with him getting out.I used this system and after about two weeks took the collar off and turned the wire off.Thats been over two years ago and he has never gotten out since.

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
I've had the Petsafe wireless for about 5 yrs now. Works well on my 35lb mutt. Great customer service from them too. He lost a collar and remote somehow. I called the company to buy a replacement and they shipped one free.

·
The C-LISTERS are coming
6,713 Posts
just get a shovel and scoop up the dogs doodoo and put it in the hole(s) where the dogs dig. They will not dif there anymore

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sure Solution

Like another poster said, if they are larger dogs >50 lbs, use a fence charger for cattle - if smaller you can buy a charger made for pets. I have both. Have not had to use them around the dogs in 2 years - after they got "educated" I just leave the un-energized wire up where they liked to get out and that's all it takes. Our mastiff took just one time and the mutt took twice to understand what the wire is all about.

Had a doberman years ago that once "educated", I could put a thread across a doorway and you and I both couldn't drag her through that door.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would use an invisible fence. My friends parents own Doggie-Do-Rite and they have it around their 5 acres with 5 dogs ranging in size between a little 6-7 pound dog up to a great dane and they never get out. Installation isnt bad either Ive helped them with installing one before and its not bad and they do it for you. My neighbors had and electric fence for their huntin dogs and they still got out every day, Ive never really seen an electric fence work that well for dogs. Give them a call and talk to Tina.

Heres their website

http://www.doggie-do-rite.com/

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I bought an innotek in ground fence but got the upgraded wire and ran it on my existing fence.The wire does not have to be buried.You can adjust the amount of distant it takes for the collar to start alarming then shocking from the fence.I aquired a boxer because he was a climber and the previous owner was fed up with him getting out.I used this system and after about two weeks took the collar off and turned the wire off.Thats been over two years ago and he has never gotten out since.
The timing of this thread is perfect. My 10 month old blue lacey just realized she can hop over a 4' fence effortlessly. I went an bought one of the under ground fences with the colar at tractor supply. I haven't had had a chance to open it yet and read the directions. I am curious if I can just hook it to my existing fence rather than having to bury it. It may address this in the instuctions. I believe the brand I bought is a Pet Safe.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
my dad's lab would just run through the underground fence. i went w/ a solar charged cattle one. just have to make sure you don't have thick vegetation anywhere near the wire as it will ground it. works fast and very good.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
I put one up for my sisters two dawgs. If it has the word "retriever" as a last name, get a strong one. I ran one wire a foot from the bottom of the fence, and as these two can climb, I ran one a foot inside from the top. Tossed a ball towards the lower one, the first one skidded under the wire after it, YIPE, and the other one barrelled right into him, DOUBLE YIPE. No more escapes, ever. Tractor Supply has all you need other than a couple hours to do it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
100lb doberman couldn't stand up to the one sold at petsmart. We had the underground with the collar. Took the original collar off and put in on a leather one. Worked great. After about 2 months I turned the system off. THis was a yard with an open driveway. NO FENCE. but I could let the dog out front and he'd stay there 5-7 hours playing in the front and woudn't cross the line even for cats!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The timing of this thread is perfect. My 10 month old blue lacey just realized she can hop over a 4' fence effortlessly. I went an bought one of the under ground fences with the colar at tractor supply. I haven't had had a chance to open it yet and read the directions. I am curious if I can just hook it to my existing fence rather than having to bury it. It may address this in the instuctions. I believe the brand I bought is a Pet Safe.
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1420 and http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1421 . I think the 4100 is just contain.The IUC 5100 contain and train is what I bought with the upgraded wire in which I ran about 2' above the ground on my cyclone fence and underground at my driveway.You can adjust the signal to keep your dog a certain distance away from fence.The twisted wire cancels the signal,where you want no signal to collar( like from house to fence).You can also buy the zones which are battery operated and will keep your dog away from things you put it on(like couch or garbage)The deciding factor in the one I have is I can use the training part outside of my fence where other brands only operate inside the fence. I did have to get an upgraded remote from innotek as the one that came with it did not get the distant it claimed to get(it was no charge to me for the upgrade).My boxer does not get out anymore and is a very obedient dog when we go to the ranch.If you show him the collar he imediatly bows down his head.I think I may have had to use the actual shock part maybe 5 times.The rest was just the beep/alert part and now I don't even put on his collar anymore, I just show him the collar if he behaves in an unfavorable way.By the way Blue Laceys are cool dogs,a friend has one at his ranch and it loves the water.I didn't know we had a state dog till he got his.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts