2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to keep dogs from digging? The dogs are tearing up the yard and pretty soon I'll have my very own mud pit fit for a hog farm.

They have dug a decent size hole...4 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet deep, with multiple other holes and we look like we're living in a mine field. A while back, they got under the house and dug a hole around one of the blocks...the block fell over and the house shifted and caused multiple problems. Now our house is boxed in--that was easy enough.

Since they seem to keep digging in the same spots in the yard, I've tried filling the holes with dirt and covering them with cayenne pepper. That actually worked--until it rained and washed the odor away.

I've put down chicken-wire in the past and put sod on top of it. That worked well, but we are now in a rent-house and I doubt the landlord would like the idea of chickenwire underlying his sod.

By the way, for you landlords out there, don't freak out, I will level and re-sod the yard and return it to its pre-rent state when we move out.

Any ideas? I'm desperate, the wife is is really on my case and I'd just really like my yard back to enjoy.:headknock

·
Registered
377 Posts
One reason that dogs will dig is because they are bored. Try spending more time with them.

Also, I have found that if you get a shovel, collect the poo, and put it in the hole before covering it up, they will not dig there for quite a while.

CB

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Copied this from the web. Maybe it will help.

Why Do Dogs Dig Holes?

To learn how to stop dogs from digging holes it is crucial to determine the reason why your puppy or older dog is digging in the first place. Below is a list of the most common reasons your dog may be digging:
  • He simply likes to dig!.
  • Your dog may just seeking your attention.
  • May be bored and digs for mental and physical stimulation. What do you expect a bored, lonely and isolated dog to do?
  • If your dog is digging under the fence he may be trying to get out to search for a mate.
  • Dogs often dig in freshly turned dirt (like your rose bed!).
  • Dogs are often attracted to fertilized dirt - the smell of fertilizer is irresistible to some dogs.
  • To dig themselves a den - much as they would have in the wild.
  • For shelter, to cool themselves down or warm themselves up.
  • Some breeds are very prone to digging (terriers, labradors), it is instinctual and bred into them.
  • May be because your dog is hunting for some little critters that live in your garden.
  • For food storage purposes. While you and me prefer to use the fridge, our dogs think the garden will do just fine.
  • How To Stop Dogs From Digging

Whenever you are trying to change any behavior in your dog the golden rule is to be consistent! Make it very clear to your dog what is, and is not acceptable behavior.

Once you have determined the likely reason for your dog's digging, you must then pinpoint the solution. Below is a list of proven techniques. If applied correctly they will help to control your dog's digging problems.
    • Give your dog lots of exercise, including heaps of physical and mental stimulation. Your dog's energy must be burned off in one way or another so why not channel it into something positive?
    • If your dog is always digging in order to bury a bone, don't give bones! Substitute with chewing toys like rawhide bones.
    • Confine your dog when you can't supervise him. Place him in a crate, kennel run or indoors whenever you aren't around to spy on him. You'll need to do this until you have fixed the digging problem.
    • Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dog likes to dig. When he strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future.
    • If you are able to be around your dog for a couple of days, you could have some success with this method. Whenever your dog starts to dig, reprimand him and spray him with the hose. Again this method produces a negative association to your dog each time he digs. You must perform this reprimand every time your dog starts digging holes for it to be successful.
    • If your dog has a favorite spot he likes to dig you can bury some chicken wire just under the surface of this area. When your dog starts to dig he won't like the feeling of his paws scraping along the wire. I've used this method myself, and found that it worked well for my dalmation puppy who loved to dig!
    • This one doesn't sound very nice but is a very popular and effective way to stop your dog from digging. What you do is fill up the holes your dog has created, adding some of his poop (feces) to the filling. Most dogs are really put off by this and won't attempt to dig again. Some trainers advocate feeding your dog pineapple before performing this technique. Apparently the pineapple smells terrible when mixed with the poop.
    • Some dogs just copy what they see their owners doing. So if you're working away in the garden, suddenly your dog may be interested in doing the same! Such dogs may need to be confined while you are working in the garden. This is probably another form of attention seeking behavior.
    • If you've got the room a great solution for both you and your dogs is to provide them with a digging area. You can actually encourage your dog to dig in this designated area. Fill it with nice soft sand and bury some of your dog's favorite treats in it. Most dogs figure out that if they want to dig, they must go to this area. Check out this video which clearly shows how to create a digging area for your dog - dog digging box.
    • If your dog is digging under the fence it may be worth filling in all the holes in and under the fence. By blocking these outside distractions or triggers you take away the visual temptation that your dog may be trying to get at.
    • If you take a trip down to your local Pet Shop you will find many commercial products that claim to help digging problems. They are effective for some dogs and may be worth a try if you can't manage the digging problem through training.
    • A couple of other methods you may want to try to control dog digging are to provide a few tasty chew toys for periods you are away from home and also employing a dog walker.

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
Maybe this book can help,...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Did you raise these digging dogs from pups or get them after they were kinda grown from another family/place?

Are they perhaps Labs?

Do you have small yard and dogs that require lots of running and exercise?

Are they cage trained by some chance?

Do you have dogs in neighbor's yard next to yours?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you raise these digging dogs from pups or get them after they were kinda grown from another family/place?
Are they perhaps Labs?
Do you have small yard and dogs that require lots of running and exercise?
Are they cage trained by some chance?
Do you have dogs in neighbor's yard next to yours?

Frank n Texas: lol, all of the above, and good points.

The main offender is not neutered, and is mostly lab as far as I can tell and I've had him since he was a pup, and he is very high energy. We have dogs on either side of us, and our yard isn't very big. They run around a lot though, wrestling and barking and having a good time so I assumed they were getting good exercise.

I have held off on neutering the main offender (the lab mix), but I think I'm going to get it done as he has exhibited some aggression that I'd like to curb if neutering will help that. Maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Now that I think about it, my older dog (a big pyrenese/chow mix) really isn't the problem. He only digs when the younger lab/mix does.

Thanks for tips guys. If all else fails I will have to get a dog-run but I was trying to avoid that. Wouldn't hurt me to get some exercise while walking them too I'm sure.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
So does anyone else think it's ironic that his dogs are digging deep holes and his name just happens to be gravedigger? Or am I the only one that thinks that's funny? Anybody, Rusty S?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does anyone else think it's ironic that his dogs are digging deep holes and his name just happens to be gravedigger? Or am I the only one that thinks that's funny? Anybody, Rusty S?
Yeah it would be great if I could bring them to work with me and hone their skills.

·
Banned
227 Posts
It's prolly a little cruel, but I've known some folks to clip their front toenails off to the quick. Seems like an almost guaranteed fix, if you can bring yourself to do it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My dogs just enjoy digging. Fortunately, they dig in the same spot most of the time.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
File a mine plan with the county

You must sit your dog down and explain that open pit mining requires the filing of a mine plan with the county clerk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts