2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trained dogs, let John Rabidou train, etc, but I'm too busy. Any suggestions on good full time trainer for quail hunting with pointers/shorthairs.
Any one know anything about dog de-snaking clinic this weekend? I talked to Bell, but they were not 100% sure, and left 2 messages. thanks

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,046 Posts
I talked to Martin yesterday and he said he was planning on having a clinic on Sat. He's on his way back from field trials and got diverted because of the hurricane which added a lot of time to his trip and may be why Shelly wasn't sure.

The guy that will be doing the snake clinic with them (Doug) does some pointer training. If you go, you might want to talk to him about it some. I'm not sure of anyone else local that works pointing breeds primarily.

·
Registered
219 Posts
bp fishin, my dad the late Charles Carter trained pointers, for years. He had some of the best dogs in the country far as trials, walking shoting dogs. I know John Rabidou, when my dad had to many dogs to train he would use John. There is another guy my the name of Don Rickman not sure he still trains or not, but his son Buckey Rickman does i belive. He is in San Antoino last i heard. There is a guy in Pleasanton Tx my the of Smith, his dad was Delmar Smith. I hear he,s good. Does John Rabidou still live in Hondo TX? If you need me to i will try and found phone # for you. bp fishin what part of the country you from ?

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,046 Posts
bp, are you looking for a local trainer or are you willing to send your GSP away for a while? I know of a guy in W. Texas that does really good work, from all accounts I've heard of him. I can't remember his name or kennel but if you're willing to send the dog to W Texas, I'll get the info for you.

I think you'll like Doug as well though. He's a good guy and what I've seen of his dogs looked pretty good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hunting dog, I live in Houston, but hunt on the Peeler ranch(s of Jourdanton). Since you are in that area you might know Shawn Griffin(dad is local warden), who trains, etc the dogs that we leave at the ranch, but he is too busy to take on more. I love to quail hunt, but occasionally will try to kill bambi or catch a tuna, etc.
Dunc, glad to see you got you new pup.I got another dog last week, which is the one that needs de-snaking and training. I'll be down tomorrow morning and take a look, then we are heading toward Boomvang.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BP, WE Board dogs if you know anyone? Year rounnd or short term. Yes i have heard of Shawin Griffin, and his dad OH YES. LOL Were is the Peeler Ranch located? I've heard of it. Do you get to hunt dove on that ranch? Are there any there? We use to go to a plantation out side houston to guail hunt. Can not remember the name it was so long ago. Use to have a lot of people from Houston board dogs with us year round, come get them hunting season only. Ranch got some pretty good deer on it? I've seen a lot more quail this year. I JUST REMBERED LOL a guy by them name of Fred Davis live between Devine TX and Jourdaton Tx he has trained dogs with my dad for years. I can get his # if you want it. Fred has had some champnship dogs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
hunting dog, do you have macy's (waterdog's dog) sister snake trained? i've been thinking about getting that done to her but don't know if it's neccessary. i'll be down there 9/24/04 pm hopefully around 4:00 for an evening hunt. Do you have a spot open on el rancho carter and are the birds still down there?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to keep the dog close to Houston or on the way to my lease. The name of ranch is Macho creek ranch. Part of it is leased to us and part is kept back for weekend package hunts thru their lodge. It starts 12 miles south of Jourdanton off hwy 16(where the high fence begins). Yes, a few nice deer, but I'm not that mad at them, like others. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Water Dog, no Dixie is not snake proof. It want hurt to have them do, especially for South Tx hunting. We have had hundreds of dogs over my life time never have one done. 4:eek:o is a good time. Yesterday i was out work the dogs in the pond and dove were landing all over the place coming to get water, before going into town. Yep bring the high power shells tho. Casey said we might hunt his place, but i like my spot better. Were you going to hunt that saturday? what ranch? You going to bring the cold punch to drink????

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hunting Dog, i was planning on hunting fri. pm., all Sat.(if possible), and possibly sun. am. before church. the guy's name is Jesse Suarez, it's in Jordanton, it cost mucho dinero, and it's all in support of CCA Brenham Chapter, thats about all I know.

By the way Macy has been a bad ***** this year and i can't wait to get her in the H20 for some sat. teal action!

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
bp fishin(kat-a-lac) said:
hunting dog, I live in Houston, but hunt on the Peeler ranch(s of Jourdanton). Since you are in that area you might know Shawn Griffin(dad is local warden), who trains, etc the dogs that we leave at the ranch, but he is too busy to take on more. I love to quail hunt, but occasionally will try to kill bambi or catch a tuna, etc.
Dunc, glad to see you got you new pup.I got another dog last week, which is the one that needs de-snaking and training. I'll be down tomorrow morning and take a look, then we are heading toward Boomvang.
Shawn is a real nice guy. I grew up with him in Cotulla. I guess he is diong a pretty good job at Macho Creek because he has been there a while. His dad Larry is retired now. He used to help Darwin Avant and my dad score at the Los Cazadores deer contest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts