2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the first real dog snapper I have ever seen out of Texas. The fish was caught on the Cool Sea on 7/16 on a live piggy perch over live bottom in 160 feet of water. Casey, myself , and Casey's dad (Capt Elliott) have never seen one before in Texas waters. Fish weighed 14.4 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
That's interesting, ever see a Cubera come in?
Also, what are the small snapper we catch on light tackle around the rig legs? We call them dogs but I think they're mangroves or other. They're more streamlined and have a mahogony back and fainter pink color. A blast on trout rods and good eating

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ones you're catching around the rig legs up to about 12-14 lbs that are Mahogany, maroon, and grey are Mangroves (real name is grey snapper). I have never seen a mutton in Texas waters, but if someone caught one, it would most likely come from down around SPI. We have seen some bona fide yellowtail snapper come in this year, also.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Real Dogs

I am glad someone finally posted something about dog snapper. I quit arguing with people about mangroves, etc. being dog snapper a long time ago. Thanks for the pic. The triangle below the eye is the dead giveaway. I have seen a few before, but very few.

Pope

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I gave up some time ago...trying prove the difference between the Cubera, Dog and Gray. The point I tried to make was the Dog and Cubera get HUGE compared to the Gray. Cubera-131lb, Dog-128lb and Gray-18lbs...

So if everyone was catching Dogs and Cuberas you would see more fish 20 to 30 lbs even 50lbs.

One of the Port A charter captains told me I made a great call on the last time we did this.....

So next week there will more Dogs and Cuberas caught....:headknock

BTW-One guy where I work caught a Mutton some years ago on a party boat out of Galveston...I seen the picture and it is cut and dried Mutton.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretty sure the state record listed for dog (128) is mistake. All the biologists state that a dog tops out at 30 or so. That 128 lber was caught in 62, and probably was a misidentified cubera. IGFA all tackle is only like 24 or so.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
muttons are pretty easy to id., they have a black spot on their side toward the tail. Pink green and yellow, probably the prettiest snapper behind yellowtail.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
James Howell said:
pretty sure the state record listed for dog (128) is mistake. All the biologists state that a dog tops out at 30 or so. That 128 lber was caught in 62, and probably was a misidentified cubera. IGFA all tackle is only like 24 or so.
I noticed that after I posted the info. I had both the TP&W records site and the Frorida ID sites up at the same time and thought it looked odd that Texas had such a huge fish while FL. didn't even list it.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Don't the mangrove/grey Snapper have some blue green streaks near the eyes? Most we catch on little jigs are 3-5 lbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Dog vs. Gray snapper can be identified also by the "tooth" patch in the roof of the mouth. I can't remember which one is which, one looks like an arrow with a shaft, the other just the arrowhead.

Just watch your fingers while you are trying to get a look :wink: .

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have any of you guys seen the Blackfin Snapper caught here? I actually caught a Dog on Capt Elliots (they Identified) last year, it was in the 15lb range.

·
El jefe
2,608 Posts
looks like a cubra

we catch lots of dog snapper up to 15lb or so , they are more brown than red .
looking at the head and color me bet it is a cubra fairly rair in western gulf / texas waters .

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, everybody once again has degenerated the argument into what a dog snapper/mangrove/ cubera is. The one pictured is a dog, positively identified by two biologists. Dogs top out at 25-30 lbs. Cuberas grow to over 100 lbs. The "lots of dogs" everybody catches up to 15 lbs or so that are more brown than red are grey (mangrove) snapper. Once again, between the three captains and two biologists who looked at this fish, NONE had seen one on this side of the gulf before. And the three captains have a total combined experience level with snappers of over 100 years. I see maybe 15,000 snapper a year, between vermilion (beeliners), red, grey(mangrove), and yellowtail snapper. I have never seen one of these on this side of the gulf before. I have seen them in the caribbean and bahamas, though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My question to you James, is do you think this was the only one in these waters. The one I caught looked the same and was identified as a rare catch by the capt. Are you saying that no one else has caught on in Texas waters but the one pictuered here or do you think that maybe there may be some type of Migration that has led some down to these waters. By your comments, it seems that you believe this is the only one ever caught and that no one else could have possibly caught one. Also could the Cuberra that are claimed could not be Juvenile Cuberra. Are you saying because they are not 40+ lbs they could not be Cuberra? I know Cuberra Snapper in the 40+ lb range are very challenging to catch on Rod and Reel. I have read the encounters experienced trying to catch these fish and it was interesting to say the least. Please provide your expertise, I am curious to know what your comments mean. Not to spark and argument, but just for Clarification.

kg

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope, not arguing that no one has ever caught one. Just trying to make the point that 90% of the "cuberas/dogs" are actually mangroves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts