2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the dog posts tonight it got me wondering about Slammer. He's a mutt that showed up at our house about 1 1/2 years ago. My wife and I are both dog people, and we both agree that he is hands down the best dog we have ever had.

Just for fun, I'd like the dog experts to give their opinions on what breeds he is made up of. Here is some basic information:

- about 2.5 years old (according to the vet).
- 50 lbs
- very athletic, very fast. Resting heart rate of 62
- strong herding instincts
- excellent hunter - naturally works a field and finds whatever is there, points when he finds something, will retreive when instructed but isn't obsessive about it like my Golden
- Very gentle and calm around people/childeren but not lazy, loves to work and is very very intense when working.
- Highly intelligent and learns fast.
- Gold eyes - I guess they'd technically be amber, but they're really gold colored.

The only thing not represented in the picture is that his tail is normally up and curled over his back. It only goes down when he is running or tracking something. In the picture he is tracking a squirell

Attachments

·
Banned
96 Posts
Sounds like a really really smart dog.
Seems like it could have some border collie, or shepherd in it.
Great dog though, sounds smarter than my boreder collie:tongue:

Kevin

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most border collies I've been around are very intense dogs and don't have an off switch on the intensity. He's not that intense, but definately has some herding dog in him.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would guess a 50:50 cross of Australian Shepherd and Golden Retreiver. What collor are his eyes?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry didn' read the part about the gold eyes. I would say deffinatley Ausie. shep. then

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My vet thinks he has something besides Golden and Aussie shep. Says the body type doesn't match either. Actually, other than his color and patience with kids, nothing else really resembles a Golden. He doesn't really like people like a golden does. If you want to scratch him behind the ears he'll be glad to let you. But other than me he could care less if they are around or not. He is definitely a one person dog.

·
Registered
652 Posts
After looking online a pictures of goldens I tend to agree with you.

If you look just at aspects of you dog that do not look like a shepherd they would be its collor, height, and seems a little thinner than most shepherds.

What about a possible cross with an irish setter?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
mix between a Aust Shepard and a catahooy (sp) ( Louisianna cattle dog)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gottagofishin said:
My vet thinks he has something besides Golden and Aussie shep. Says the body type doesn't match either...
Body type has hints of Cannan Dog (Israel sheep herder).

Regardless, he is a good looking animal!

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Lounging by the pool, ...............................I'd say full bread "licking pot hound" JK

Healer Sheppard type prolly smarter than you think.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Aussie/Golden/Catahoua don't know what mixed first.... my 2 cents from having cow dogs all my life probably aussie /cat then the goldie came along,,,,,, should be extremely smart

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
That's funny right there!!

BEER4BAIT said:
Lounging by the pool, ...............................I'd say full bread "licking pot hound" JK

Healer Sheppard type prolly smarter than you think.
The coloration definately looks like aussie shepherd. My MIL has an aussie, and it's worthless btw.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Gottagofishin,
I have two aussis and the BIL has one also, except his still has a tail. Your dog looks amazingly like Bils. About the same size, very close in color ,and similiar traits.
I would say he definitely seems to have an aussi background but the rest must be a Traveling Salesman.

All the best.

Dr. Krol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I gotta agree with Charlie, may be some Brittany in there somewhere. I guess some dogs are just Heinz 57's, I think they make the best dogs anyway! All those geneticists would call it hybrid vigor.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
Yeah... looks like some Brittany or Springer Spaniel somewhere from behind...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.