1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
That game was awesome! I don't care who you are! "Git er done!"

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Holy fishon!!! One game away! Just talked to my wife - she went to the game with my ticket with my parents and business partner (I was playing the odds they would win and get to the next level so I'd have unrestricted access to Games 3, 4, and 5 of the WS). Anyway, she said it was absolutely insane after Kent's bomb. People were hugging, high-fiving, etc. for at least 10 minutes. She said nobody wanted to leave. I know I just sat on the floor in front of the TV after Kent's bomb shaking my head saying "unbelievable". What a game! And what a job by Backe!!!!!!!!

GO ASTROS GO!!! Get that last one on wedn.!!!!!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Absolutely fantastic game by both teams. Great pitching, unbelievable defense and ended by great hitting. It was one of those games that if it had been anybody except the Astros, I would have hated to see either team loose. I'll bet LaRussa thinks twice next time before he walks Berkman to get get to Kent.

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Definetly a great game, and one heck of a game from Backe. All I can say is WOW!!! One more baby!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Great game... Couldnt have been written any better...

On a side note does anyone remember those who bashed hunsicker when he traded blum for backe? hmmm... looks like a genius to me!!

-AK

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Very true!

Farmer Jim said:
Absolutely fantastic game by both teams. Great pitching, unbelievable defense and ended by great hitting. It was one of those games that if it had been anybody except the Astros, I would have hated to see either team loose. I'll bet LaRussa thinks twice next time before he walks Berkman to get get to Kent.
I have to think that was the true definition of the pitchers duel! Williams and Bakke were head to head in my book.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
OMFG - was that not one of the most awesome games I have ever seen?!

I don't watch alotta baseball - but that game was friggin awesome!

We watched at BW3 on Westheimer - and the place went nuts after that homer...kinda ticked I passed on some upper deck tickets at only $60 each! :mad:

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Just got home from the game. WOW!!!!!!! I can't even begin to describe it. I'm an ex pitcher and I love a pitchers duel but was certainly not expecting it. The last game I went to was our clinch of the Wild Card. It was an offensive game and was a blast. But this was truly something to behold. Every pitch was crucial because everyone there knew that one run could do it. What an amazing game pitched by two great pitchers. Hearing the cheers of Backe, Backe, Backe gave me chills every time! It was amazing to see the crowd get that into a defensive battle. Beltran came through in a whole new way, you can't imagine how that place simply exploded when he made that diving play!!!!! I don't know about watching it on TV, but at the game everyone there knew when Kent came up there was only one possible outcome. The place literally exploded the second he hit it, there was absolutely no doubt the second he hit it.

As amazing as the game was, I think the memory that will stick in my mind the longest was being at the B.U.S. afterwards and everyone breaking out into a chant of BACKE,BACKE, BACKE.... in the hour or two I hung out that probably happened six or seven times.

I could ramble on for hours but my orginal statement of WOW pretty much sums it up. Can't wait for game 3 of the WORLD SERIES, though I think my report from that game may have to wait till the day after cuz if that happens I don't plan on being able to type that night!!!!!!

GO STROS!!!!!!!!! BACKE, BACKE, BACKE, BACKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
Gotta Believe! I love this stuff! It sure is nice watching the home town boys kicking rear in October!

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
What an exciting ending to an amazing game. All I can say is WOW! Brandon Backe was on fire from the beginning. The first three innings he just mowed down the Cardinals lineup. And he kept it going, too. He had a slight hiccup there in the sixth, but he maintained his composure and got one of the best hitters in baseball to pop out to Kent. That allowed him to refocus and go out there for two more innings. With Backe, I think you are finally seeing the Roger Clemens effect. I saw Clemens talking to him several times in the dugout. I think this performance may have just proved that Gerry Hunsicker is a baseball genius. That, or our scouts are some of the best in the business.

Now, looking ahead to Wednesday's game, I hope Garner decides to start Pete Munro instead of Clemens on three days rest. I don't mind starting Clemens on short rest, but if they lose that game, it will probably be up to Oswalt to start Game 7 on short rest. And he didn't pitch that well in Game 4 on full rest. He said his legs got tired quick. He needs rest. So, with that, the game that Clemens pitches would be the must-win game in my mind. Would you rather have him pitching on 3 days or 4 days of rest? And if the Astros do happen to win Game 6, then the pitching is set up for the World Series. I understand wanting to throw the best option for the next game, but logically, it doesn't make sense if we don't win.

Did anyone see the sign of the Killer B's lineup? It went like this:

Biggio
Beltran
Bagwell
Berkman
Bent
Bensberg
Bizcaino
Bausmus
Backe

I found that rather amusing.

Go Astros!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree, pitch Monroe tomorrow and save the hammers for Thursday. Munro pitched pretty well in game 2 and I think can give us a good chance to steal game 6. If not, game 7 with Clemens on full rest and Oswalt as a backup? I'll take that any time.

Anyone hear Isringhausen's comments after the game. Said he left the cutter over the middle of the plate and Kent hit it to the short porch in left! Short porch??!!? Good thing it hit the tracks or it may have broken glass on the way out! What a shot! I was in the 4th deck down the left field line and knew it was a blast off the bat. I took a quick glance at the outfielders and neither moved. Might have problems tomorrow with cricks in their necks from looking up. All I remember after that is unbelievable noise, picking up my 9 yr old son (Jeff Kent was and now will probably always be his favorite player), screaming at the top of my lungs and seeing all the hugs and high 5's, and then the mob scene at the plate. Being able to be in the crowd for the last two games is something I will never forget. Backe throws a one hitter? Un#^%&ing beliveable!!

Nice article on ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1904835

·
Registered
551 Posts
Munro or Clemens?

I'm starting to change my mind about who we should pitch tomorrow. At first I was like everybody else and thought that if we won last night we should go with Munro. Now I'm starting to feel like we shouldn't tempt fate and should go with our best. Momentum is hard to get and we've got it right now. Matt Morris is pitching for the Cards tomorrow and our guys are going to score some runs. It might not be a good idea to put in their heads (Walker, Pujols, Rolen, Edmunds) that we don't think we need our best to beat them. This is still a dogfight and we could still lose. It won't help us to have Oswalt rested if we don't make it to the World Series.

I'm glad Phil has to make this decision instead of me.

GO STROS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
TDP,
If I thought Roger or Roy could give more that 5 or 6 innings on 3 days rest, I'd agree that the best play is to start Clemens game 6 and Oswalt game 7. I think their history has shown that on short rest they don't have their normal control, have high pitch counts, and run out of gas around 5 innings. That leaves you with 2 games where you rely on the bullpen for 4 innings or so. Sorta a scary thought. On 3 days rest, Roger Clemens is an adequate starting pitcher (his history on 3 days rest is not that great) . On 4 days rest, he's Roger Clemens, Hall of Famer!

If Munro can give you 4 or 5 innings, Backe (it will be his normal day for bullpen) can give you 1, Wheeler 1 or 2 and Lidge 1 or 2, I think you have an excellent chance of pulling out game 6, period. The Astros will get to Morris and the Cardinals relief staff has shown it can be had. I like our chances.

If the Astros do lose, the Cardinals are facing a well rested Roger in game 7 with the NL's only 20 game winner as backup. Who are the Cardinals countering with? Marquis? Suppan? Houston has owned both.

I agree though, I'm sure glad I don't have to make the decision!!

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
I just think that with the way Oswalt pitched in Game 4 and saying his legs were tired, he needs the rest. So, if we lose Game 6 with Roger on short rest, we have to throw Roy on short rest when he's already tired. I don't have a good feeling about that situation. Oswalt is a great pitcher, but even the best pitchers don't fare well when they are tired from the beginning. In my mind, that means that the game Clemens pitches is basically a must-win game. Would you rather have him in a must-win game in Game 6 on 3 days (short) rest or in Game 7 (if it goes that far) on 4 days (regular, full) rest? Also, Munro pitched a decent game in Game 2. Garner just had a quick hook on him that day and the bullpen gave it away. As a bonus, if we do win Game 6, our rotation is set up for the World Series. If we lose Game 6, we have The Rocket on the hill on full rest with Roy O set to go in Game 1 or in relief if need be.

·
Registered
551 Posts
o.k.

I definitely see the benefits of both sides, however, I think a rested Roy-O for the World Series doesn't help us much if we don't get there. :)

BTW, managers have just quit using four starters and gone to five here in the last 10 years or so. If they keep their pitch count down there is no reason to think they couldn't pitch 7 strong innings.

Garner was on Rome today and wouldn't give it up. Said he needed to speak with the parties involved first. Either way, I like our chances.

Go Stros!!

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
TPD said:
I definitely see the benefits of both sides, however, I think a rested Roy-O for the World Series doesn't help us much if we don't get there. :)

Go Stros!!
But an unrested Roy O doesn't help much to get there in my opinion. I know this won't be an easy decision for Phil Garner. He's already been second guessed enough in this series. Bottom line, though, whatever his decision, I'm behind it 100%.

Go Astros!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's a great problem to have.....

I can certainly see both sides of the issue as well and certainly realize that whatever decision Garner makes, it will probably be the right one. I'm pretty sure he understands the pros and cons of each choice. He sure has been pushing the right buttons for a couple of months now!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts