2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is regarding the traditional burst flash. Just curious to hear your opinions. I have had some people say they get used to it and others swear that savy bucks will shy away. I see cam pics posted with great dear in them.

If you are using a flash, do you keep it on the entire hunting season, or make changes once the season starts?

LW

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I think that the flash will make them leary(sp?) after a few days. Especially the bigger boy's....at least at the Cueva. They seem to start staying behind the lamco feeder away from the camera or flash. We'll leave them there for a week or so and then move them to another feeder area. Have had great luck on setting them up on some of the game trails coming into the feeder area as well. We'll run ours every now and then during the season just to see if something new is moving around, especially the rut.

G

·
We run ours from now through the end of deer season, and some seem to spook at first but get used to quick. My buddy Worst1, bagged a real nice ten point Christmas Day last year, after patterning him from the trail cam. I shot the only deer I had coming to my stand 2 years ago, after giving up the season as a loss, because of the camera.I believe in them.Like you said there are some really great deer caught on cameras all the time. They work IMO.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am convinced that most mature animals do not like the flash and will shy away from the cam after getting "caught" the first time. As BB stated some will put the protein feeder between them and the cam after getting caught. Others could care less. And still others never get caught on cam. (We have a 4-5 basket horned animals that NEVER get caught on cam, yet we see them regularly throughout the season)

It seems our first cam session for the year is always the best with the most mature animals being caught on cam. After that, it is rare to capture a mature animal on cam... at least that is my experience.

And yet, knowing they shy away from the flash, I will still put them out in a few weeks in hopes of catching a glimpse of the few animals that I hope made the winter...

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Well I watched the flash go off for a couple of times before daylight but couldnt see the animal. As it got lighter I saw the deer still in the feeder pen. It was breaking day and the flash went off again and the deer did not even act like anything happened. He was a nice 160 class buck. HERES THE PICTURE. I really dont think it bothers them at all. does lighting scare them ? Naw

Attachments

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
I bought 2 of the Moultrie GS I40 (infrared) cams after having had the GS 200 (flash). Have not checked on the one I have out yet but I can tell you there is only a dim red glow on the infrared panel that brings much less attention to whatever is in the path of that camera.

Trigger speed in 10 fold better in testing I've done at the house. I've seen pics from others that used them and they are just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts