2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my rifle to the range and it was all over the place. Noticed the front of the stock was pushing against the barrel up front pretty bad, no way can you slide a dollar up front. Took it home and removed a ton of material so you can now slide a dollar front to action with no issues. Never had this issue and have not been back to shoot again but i hope this is my fix. Im pretty gun savy so ive seen scope and copper fouling cause these kinda things but never the stock, just curious. It is a synthetic stock on remington 700 and the scope was just mounted and all screws were torqued and mounted to spec

·
Native Texan
10,999 Posts
Yes, the stock putting pressure on the barrel can/will cause erratic accuracy.

Reason is that the pressure is different at each shot. Different amount and in a different location. May only seem to be minor, but it will cause erratic results. This is not really different than resting on the actual barrel, different amounts/location of pressure on the barrel.

If the stock is highly flexible, then even removing material to afford some paper thickness clearance when not on a bag or rest can/will cause differences in accuracy when it is on the bag/rest.

Any outside influences applied to a barrel will cause the accuracy to change, and that includes over heating of the barrel.

Recommend resting the stock near the receiver on your next trip. That will eliminate a lot of that "touching" as the stock is more rigid the closer to the receiver.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So ive had the gun forever and never had these problems, only thing i can think of is this time i put my bipod on the swivel sling up front instead of like u say resting more back towards the action, ill go shoot again this weekend and see how it acts

·
Native Texan
10,999 Posts
I can't say for sure that the barrel is touching the stock, just that if/when it does it can make for erratic accuracy. Could be the ammo, could be a fouled barrel, could be a loose stock......a bunch of could be. I recently had a rifle I have shot a good bit do similar, the stock bolts had somehow become loose and it was a 223 rifle. So it can happen. I tightened the bolts and finished reloading for that rifle. It shot pretty well.
I would add that the Remington synthetic stocks (no brand actually, IMO) are not very rigid and I don't trust them to not touch the barrel. So I don't shoot that rifle off of a tripod for that reason.

Attachments

·
Play Deep
3,659 Posts
The rem factory are pos. They flex very easily- especially in the action area- to the point of flexing the action.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,759 Posts
It’s all about consistency. Believe some rifles were made with a pressure point in the fire end of the stock, for some reason I want to say weatherby used to or still does this. The difference is it was consistent and didn’t change.

Resting the tip of your forend on a window sill can cause contact/pressure in varying degrees. Then of course resting the barrel on a surface causes weird things.

My ruger American predator had a pretty flimsy stock. It would sometimes make contact so I got in there with some sand paper around a socket and widened it out. Then scuffed up the voids and filled it with epoxy. This stiffened everything up and added a bit of weight. Worked really well. I can now load my bipod and it still won’t flex and make contact.

·
Registered
612 Posts
every gun is different and reacts to bbl pressure points differently. Example, Ruger 10-22. I have a Clark mod and Jimmy puts a pressure point on end of stock to contact barrel. Super accurate. He did a lot of testing on this. I had a factory one and it would not shoot worth a ****. Put a piece of thick paper under barrel near end of stock and tightened up grouping. Works on some and not on others. You got to just play with it. This applies to any gun. They have a personality and you just have to find it for best accuracy. Then you gotta find the right ammo.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a Savage 111with a plastic stock I bought 15 yrs ago. Never been a tack driver. First round will be dead on but will start tracking toward 10 o'clock the more you shoot outta it. Noticed after about a year and maybe a couple hundred rounds the blueing (or whatever coating the barrel has) was worn off right @ the tip of the stock. Covered the bare spots with magic marker and it wore off again. Noticed the front end of the stock was very weak. and I could push it and make it touch the barrel with very little resistance. Mind you, one of the first things I checked when I first noticed the accuracy problem was to see if was free floating, and I could slide a dollar bill all the way to the action. The fore end flexes with each shot and hitting the barrel and as the barrel heats up the problem gets worse. Thad is what is causing the problem with MY rifle. Now, it has never been a problem while hunting cause it is the first shot that should count and I have never had a problem with the first round or 2. Savage said they would replace the stock but I don't want another plastic stock. Next gun project will be a Boyd's laminated stock for this rifle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Barrel is supposed to be free floating....if something is touching the Barrel example said stock ....it will affect the barrel harmonics
Font Document Number Parallel Circle

Font Terrestrial plant Number Rectangle

·
Registered
114 Posts
every gun is different and reacts to bbl pressure points differently. Example, Ruger 10-22. I have a Clark mod and Jimmy puts a pressure point on end of stock to contact barrel. Super accurate. He did a lot of testing on this. I had a factory one and it would not shoot worth a ****. Put a piece of thick paper under barrel near end of stock and tightened up grouping. Works on some and not on others. You got to just play with it. This applies to any gun. They have a personality and you just have to find it for best accuracy. Then you gotta find the right ammo.
I believe that's what this does in a sense except you can move this to different spots on your barrel to improve accuracy.....I think , I think this also plays with the barrel harmonics to help improve accuracy
Photograph Tire Automotive tire Light Product

1 - 11 of 11 Posts