2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean something other than the SWA's, TTK's, or Norton type baits... As with many of you I'm sure you've bought a lure because it looked to good and you just knew it would work. Yet, when it came time to tie on a bait you went for the ole tried and true not willing to venture out telling yourself "I'll try it later".

Of course we all know that later never comes and there it sits still in it's original packaging at the bottom of your tackle box.

Well two weeks ago "later" finally came for me. While out fishing I decided to break from the norm and try out a soft plastic bait that I had purchased 3+months ago. I tied it on and immediately starting getting hammered. The trout would bite it so aggressively that the only visible part of the jighead left showing was the eye where I had tied on. Several times I had to re-tie because they took the bait farther down and got their teeth on the line.

I never get excited about a new bait or color that has come out and usually stick with the same baits time and again. I just wanted to sing the praises of this one a little and see if anyone else has had the same experience with a lure they took a chance on and hit pay dirt.

BTW...the lure was the 3" Wild Eye Swim Shad made by Storm Lures. I'll try to post a pic later.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
I am glad to hear that you had some success with those because I too have some of these. I just haven't made the time to fish with them. I bought a couple of packages about 2 months ago with the intent on using them in the surf for starters. You have now convinced me to give it ago. I'll try them this weekend and report my findings.

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
I love the Storm Wild eye shad. In Florida last year I was killing the locals while snook fishing. They were all using their tried and true baits. I was a newbie, who didn't know any better lol, and got some 4" fire tiger wild eyes. I guess the snook had never seen that because they absolutely hammered tham. Thanks for the memories.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I have bags and bags of colors that looked good and I just knew would catch fish only to pull out the same ol reliable colors and load up my wading belt lol one of these days I am just going to take the colors I never throw with me on the boat. I am sure in that bag are some plastic baits I bought and never tried

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Culprit Riptide Srhrimp. Company dropped the Culprit name and just go by Riptide now. Has always been my most effective artie.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Txfirenfish said:
Culprit Riptide Srhrimp. Company dropped the Culprit name and just go by Riptide now. Has always been my most effective artie.
riptide shrimp are awsome i've caught many flounders with them and made a believer out of my friend.

also i use sassy shad (glow) 3" when night fishing. they used to have a watermelon smell to them but not sure why they pulled it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
how do you work those wild eye swim shads? just reel in? stop n go? bump off the bottom?

ive only used them under the lights on piers.. with a fast retrieve.. they work well.

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've fished them several ways...

Since they are heavier than my normal 1/16oz. jighead with Assasin it takes some getting used to. I have fished them with a semi-fast retrieve just swimming it. Then I fished it aggressively with the jerk....reel.....jerk.....reel. So far the swimming the bait seems to work pretty well.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Belt Sanders said:
Gambler Flappin Shads
Ah yes, the ol' gamblers. Great little lure with awesome tail action. Picked up a bunch of flounder with 'em over the years.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
I've got 2 packs of the Storm shads ... different sizes ... but only tried them a couple of times. They look great but I found them too heavy for shallow water ... maybe they come in different weights. I imagine if they were used as first (not last) choice, the odds would be better.

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
catch 5 said:
I like my good ole trusty queen cocahoe. Any color.
Not just any color. Avacado w/ red glitter, any color tail. My first limit of trout on arties and my biggest red fell for that bait.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
zoom

one of my favorite redfish baits is a zoom crawdad (bass lure). I sightcast it on a spinning reel weightless & weedless. Works like dynamite if presented properly, looks just like a small crab.

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pelican...I agree with the weight...

I only wish that they came in lighter weights. I believe the 3" Wild eye has a 5/16oz. weight. That's pretty freekn' heavy. So far the places I've had most of my success is fishing 4-6ft of water later in the morning.

All though I did pick up a few fish shallow swimming the bait real fast. The tail seems to have a lot of action.

I forgot all about the Gambler Flappin' Shad. I love that bait. Red and white to be exact.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I have some really small ones, but they don't run very straight.

I do pretty good with a watermelon fluke rigged weightless on braid. No different than the assassin though. I have been wanting to try a gold colorado blade spinnerbait for reds, but like others, cannot seem to put down old trusty long enough to work on it. Old trusty has been Trout Killer Jr, black and chartruse.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I got my hands on those new TTK flats minnows. I know they're going to work.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts