2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have built the same setup and it works very well.

I stopped using the cooler and switched to carrying the battery in my backpack and putting the fish in a floating sharkbag. The light works great but my buddies got thiers at Academy and they work just as well. I built my gig using PVC so everything floats.

The picture makes the gig look longer than it actually is.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
I'd like to build something like that, but doesn't the end with the lightbulb get heavy after a while? I wonder where I could find a smaller multi-led bulb that's as bright and build a smaller enclosure for it? Just concerned about the 4" pvc w/a car headlight getting cumbersome and heavy after an hour or so. Or is it not really THAT heavy?Great idea though, I like it. Sure would be better than toting around a hot *ss lantern.

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
Here is a pic of my lights and airmotor setup. One hung lowers grandfather started running the green flourescent lights a while back and I switched to them about 2 years ago and love them, they draw no amperage and light up flounder.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
jeff.w said:
I'd like to build something like that, but doesn't the end with the lightbulb get heavy after a while? I wonder where I could find a smaller multi-led bulb that's as bright and build a smaller enclosure for it? Just concerned about the 4" pvc w/a car headlight getting cumbersome and heavy after an hour or so. Or is it not really THAT heavy?Great idea though, I like it. Sure would be better than toting around a hot *ss lantern.
Nope, it floats in the water due to the air in the 4" PVC behind the light. If anything, you sometimes have to push it down into the water to get it to the bottom. I created that instruction page about 7 years ago, and a lot of folks here have used that setup. Some have chosen to use a different style of light (aircraft lights, etc.), but the concept is similar.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
what kind of battery are y'all using to run that hand-held light that you can carry in a back pack? that certainly beats my old home-made set-up. those deep cycle's get heavy to tote around.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
I have the cooler set up, but prefer the moto-battery in a pack. It will last several hours. Not really a problem if you remeber to change it when you get home. That is our biggest problem. We always forget to change the batteries. I just recently got a kayak however, so now i use a big deep cycle from the boat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Flounderitis

O K .

I'm 77 years young and firmly believe that an hour or two searching for and CATCHING, i.e., successful gigging, will help me remove several of those years what with the thearpy floundering affords. That said, would some of you successful giggers care to share with me where I might venture to scale back some of these years?

I have a 24 year-old grandson who will be along with me to be sure that I get back home at least as young as I was when I left for the flounder.

I have, several years ago when I lived in Jefferson County, walked the Texas bank of Lake Sabine near the Tex/La Causeway bridge, and had a modicum of success...using, I might add, the proverbial Coleman Lantern as a light source. Bummer!

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

J L Dunn

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
Mr Dunn, you sound like my kind of man!! my daughters want me to go to Flounderanonomous???? yeah right, i cant even spell it, much less want to rid myself of that addiction! so far i have only rod and reeled them, but i have 3 gigs ready and waiting for that "someday". so far i have only used my gigs for a possum and getting toilet paper out of trees :biggrin:

trudy

·
Banned
829 Posts
Here are some photos of my old rig sold it when we moved from Victoria. The picture of the fish is from the Surfside side of San Luis Pass a few Novembers ago. That is my best ever two-man limit there were some monsters in there. The kids and I loved the flounder rig but the wife was sick of use disappearing every weekend fish all night sleep all day. LOL what memories. I have giged a lot of flounder on the Galveston side of SLP and it is much more accessible than Surfside. Christmas bay can be very productive if you hit it on the right night. I use 150 W halogen auto bulbs in my light and they worked well. I have herd that the green lights are better and draw almost no power.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
ShadMan said:
Nope, it floats in the water due to the air in the 4" PVC behind the light. If anything, you sometimes have to push it down into the water to get it to the bottom. I created that instruction page about 7 years ago, and a lot of folks here have used that setup. Some have chosen to use a different style of light (aircraft lights, etc.), but the concept is similar.
so do you drag it also? sorry for the dumb question but i have no idea what you are talking about

1 - 15 of 15 Posts