2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Perch Slayer - Bambi Killer
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 06 Dodge Ram 2500 megacab I fell in love! Very soon after,the love started to fade and everything people told me about Dodge products started coming out! Now after owning the truck for almost 3 years I absolutely hate it with a passion. The truck has been at the dealer about 10 times since I purchased the truck. The last issue was the power steering not working when the truck was at a stop. They have tried to fix this issue without success on 4 different occasions. I have been without my truck for almost a month off and on with them trying to fix the issue. They have replaced every single components related to the steering system and still cannot figure it out. The only good thing about my truck has been the cummins diesel. Everything else has been junk. Interior body pieces have broke off, A/C blower broke, A/C temperature flap broke off, door handle broke off, the list goes on and on. I have no idea if other trucks are similar, but I would NEVER buy a Dodge - Chrysler product ever again. Ok just need to vent.

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts
Truck was probably built on Friday.....

You got a lemon man, and that can happen with any make/model.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I HAVE AN 06 RAM 2500 HAVE HAD IT SINCE NEW AND THE ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE IS THE SEATS ARE ****(THEY STAIN VERY EASILY) AND THE STEERING WHEEL IS STARTING TO PEEL AND WEAR
OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE ONLY HAD TO WORK ON IT ONCE(a/c DOOR BROKE WHICH IS COMMON) PERSONALLY I LOVE THE TRUCK

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I wish they would make truck with Ford body, Cummins Motor and Allison Tranny...

Sorry to hear about your hassle with Dodge

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dodge

Sorry to hear about your Dodge, but I've had great luck with the three I've owned. All of mine have been 4x4 3/4 ton extra/crew cabs. The last one I bought in 03 has 105k on it and has never been in the shop. The only thing I have done is replace brake pads. I think its the "luck of the draw" on any car you buy...I just got a good one.

This is my first post on 2cool fishing....great site. Danny at FTU told me about it and the Texas Rod Builders organization.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

I learned my lesson in 1997. Brand new extended cab gas 4x4. It was in the shop 5 to 7 times in the first three months I had it. I only had it a week and was driving and the anti-lock break light comes on and guess what hardley no brakes at all.....The next time was a broke steering column. I had enough and never bought a dodge product again. Love my Chevy's........

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
in 94 i bought a brand new Silverado could not keep it out of the dealer ,everyone else was driving the wheels off em mine was in the shop .Got an 01 Cummins now solid truck also have an 05 PS F350 6.0 135K miles and so far so good

·
Banned
938 Posts
No news here. Everyone who is anyone knows Dodges are not the most reliable domestic truck. Like it or not. It's a known FACT :) Heck the entire Daimler-Chrysler line for that matter

Dad works for the USDA and the entire center had dodge 2500's until around 2000 when they had enough and switched to GM. Less problems all around.

With Ford and GM you may get a lemon here and there. With Dodge you may get a good one here and there. Big difference.

Heck my uncles dodge 2007 megacab cummins 4x4 DIDNT even make it off the LOT when he bought it brand new. The Wiring Harness Fried as he took off from dealer.

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts
RubenZamora said:
Everyone who is anyone knows Dodges are not the most reliable domestic truck. .
LOL....Guess I am nobody. I have had all 3, and liked them all. Each has it's own quirks, and every truck has maint. issues (starter/alt./belts/water pump). But to say something like that is just silly Ruben. I have had 3 Dodges and they have all been more than reliable. It is possible to get a lemon, and I think that is the issue here. If dodge where as bad as you say, I would have had a bad one by now.

My first hand experience:

1997 2500 Ram w/ 12v Cummins (158k miles when sold) - no problems
2001 2500 Ram w/ 24v Cummins (96k miles when sold) - no problems
1998 3500 Ram w/ 12v Cummins (158k miles & still drive it) - no problems

1999 F-250 PSD (175k miles when sold) - no problems

2006 2500 Chevy w/ DMAX (36k miles and still drive it) - no problems. This truck is my favorite becase of the 6 speed Allison.

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
2000 F-250 7.3 245000 Problems are only cam sensor and leakey butt (I hit a spare tire IN THE ROAD) other than oil changes, thats it. never serviced transmission.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Chevrolet dude here

1989 Chevrolet w/ 5.7 2WD sold it at 260K original engine(still purring) and 1st transmission rebuild at 245K
1999 Chevrolet w/ 5.3 4wd sold at 147K all original
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4wd POS traded @ 10K for
2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4wd Traded @ 47K..

Back to Chevrolet w/ 2006 Duramax 4wd. 47K and driving on. Predict this truck will be like the 1989 maybe better.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Blue_Wave028 said:
Back to Chevrolet w/ 2006 Duramax 4wd. 47K and driving on. Predict this truck will be like the 1989 maybe better.
I've had 2 1985 Chevys both with 200,000 + miles and never needing engine rebuilds or tranny rebuilds.

Then i bought a 1999 z71 ext cab with 79k back in 2003 and put maybe 80k miles on it quickly. Got a full time job, decided to get a new truck to have for a long time.

I settled on a 07 classic Duramax/Allison 4wd ext Cab. and 2yrs later and 40k miles it running better than new. Awesome truck. No repairs needed so far.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Funny, I have an '03 that has been modded and still have been fine, not to mention Ill race your grandma if she is at the same traffic light. I have replaced the water pump and brake pads, thats it, 80k. Also some of the higher HP guys in the duramax run a built 48re instad of the Ally.

Reactions: jabx1962

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd rather have a truck with a solid motor. Cummins can't be touched by any of the other diesels out there. I've owned 5 dodge ctd trucks and they have all been worked hard. I still own an 03 with 130k, never been in the shop and still has the original brake pads.

Also have an 06 but its only got 30k miles. I hope it holds up like the 03 has.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just givin the other side.

Two Dodge diesels in the family. An '01.5 and a '03

160,000 combined and only two failures. A water pump and a fuel pump.

No other problems ever. The A/C will freeze you out, the OEM tires lasted 80k and even the batteries are original. IMHO, some of the best trucks ever :smile:

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
2,416 Posts
Sucks about the '06. My '03 just turned over 87k, modded out from the ground up and has never been in the shop. Original batteries as well.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
Bukmstr said:
I learned my lesson in 1997. Brand new extended cab gas 4x4. It was in the shop 5 to 7 times in the first three months I had it. I only had it a week and was driving and the anti-lock break light comes on and guess what hardley no brakes at all.....The next time was a broke steering column. I had enough and never bought a dodge product again. Love my Chevy's........
I had adodge '96 1/2 ton 4x4, absolutely NO problems, excellent truck , sold it a few month's back with 160k miles on it and still ran strong! had a '05 chevy 1/2 ton that i purchased new-absolute POS, typical chevy rattle and shakes on the interior, constant brake probs,a/c probs, engine probs and they couldn't even diagnose their own computers! as stated above, luck of the draw with any domestic vehicle these day's! :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I have an '04 2500 CTD CC 4x4. I have been very happy with this truck. I have had a couple minor problems but that is pretty well expected with any truck. My one and only knock on my Dodge is that the U joints have been problematic. Can't grease them and I have replaced several already. Only changed each one out once but I think I have pretty well changed all of them out already. I have had to swap out the ones on the rear drive shaft and the ones in the front end.

Other than that my truck has been great. Very reliable, no issues with the interior, great fuel economy and enough power for anything I need to do. I have about 90k miles on mine and look forward to putting another 90k on it.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
I love how people who have never had a Dodge product insist on talking about how bad they are.

Hell, I've had 7 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles since 1999 and the only problems I have had have been self inflicted. Face it, 3/4 ton trucks weren't designed to run 13 second 1/4 mile times at 500+ HP.

I have yet to see a Chevy or Ford diesel truck with over 1,000,000 miles on it. Sure, the motor has no problem getting that kind of mileage, but the motor doesn't do it by itself.

·
Banned
938 Posts
gitchesum said:
I have yet to see a Chevy or Ford diesel truck with over 1,000,000 miles on it. Sure, the motor has no problem getting that kind of mileage, but the motor doesn't do it by itself.
A simple Google search shows million mile trucks for all three makers.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts