2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any feedback on the Dodge diesel trucks? I had always thought they were a second tier truck, but everything edmunds.com says leads me to believe they have come a long way in quality & are now a top notch product. I have looked at them & really like the look & feel, I am just curious about the longterm durability. Any real feedback is appreciated (this is not a chevy/ford/dodge fight, I just want to hear from some folks that have owned a dodge). Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
dodge

not sure what to tell you but we bought a new 2001 Dodge Diesel 4x4 in 2000. We still have it today and it has 150,000 miles on it. I drive it back and forth to work every day about 25 miles one way and we pull our 31ft boat with it and the only problem we have had was we replaced the transmission in 2005. Other than that it has been a wonderful truck. I don't know all the mechanic terms but I know that it has been a good truck. I like the new mega cabs for all the room but can't afford one of them. Good luck!

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
I love mine. '04.5 2500 quad cab 4x4 CTD. 68000 miles and no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
i dont own one but i have always heard dodge historicaly has had tranny problems.
a cummins is a pretty darn good motor, but i am hearing the gas motors still need some work.
there was a reason they stopped making "hemi's" back i nthe day i guess.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have an 03 Cummins 4X4 6spd w/ approx 65K miles. Transfer case busted a gear (repaired under warranty) and had to have new u-joints (replaced under warranty), other than that no issues. The motor is STRONG. My dad has an 04 Cummins 2wd auto that he has had ZERO troubles with, and he is a full timer RVer w/ well over 70k on his rig.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
My buddy just bought a brand new Dodge Diesel 2500 and man it's quiet. I was impressed.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
04.5 Cummins 600 series 2500 4X4, no problems, great fuel economy for a truck in it's class. In my opinion the "cummins" has always been at the top of the food chain, however Dodge has had other issues, brakes (resolved by going to larger rotars, thus the 17" rims) and the trans have been beefed up as of late resulting in fewer problems. My first cummins was a 91 3/4 ton, put over 300K on it and when I sold it, it was still running strong, and I know of many others in my area that have similar stories. I think Ford and Chev, may have a little better fit and finish, but I don't think they can compete with the cummins in line six! Just my 2 cents.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
First one we had was a 1990 model that we sold at 280,000 miles still going strong. I got a 2005 last year and have loved it, I've heard about tranny problems but do not know anyone that owns one that has had them.

FN

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Past: 1997 Cummins 4x4 auto: no problems 80,000 miles
Current: 2003 Cummins 4x4 Auto: no problems 70,000 miles

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
My buddy bought one new ten years ago and that thing is still running strong. If I was going to get one? I believe it would be the dodge. Just my penny.

·
Registered
341 Posts
First owned a 92 single cab but had to sell at 50k due to growing family and money problems but did not have any problems at all. I currently own a 03 with 53k and have had no problems. Older one got better milage. Both do hve a little more road noise than I care for but they are pulling machines. Russ

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
2005, 14 months old,3/4 ton Cummins, 40,150 miles with 0 problems. I drive mine like it is stolen, ask bluewaterho. If I am at a stoplight next to a greyhair, it is like I am at a drag strip waiting on the tree to go green. ITS ON AT GREEN. :) I have towed for probably 9k miles of the 40. I did break a sensor of the bottom off it from running over trees out at my property preparing for hunting season last year. I put all but 6 miles on it and have had the Edge hot Juice on it for the past 13k miles.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I've got an 04 600 series 1 ton dually with 6 speed manual. Used it commercially for 1 year towing 20,000 plus in cargo and trailer. no problems using it now for daily driver. get about 19-20 mpg in town.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
If I could get a Dodge Cummins diesel in a Ford Chassis, I'd have the perfect truck. I've had a couple of chrysler products in my day and had a lot of problems with them. However, I hear the late model Dodge Trucks and the Cummins diesel are great products. The tranny is still Dodge's weak link IMO. They're not bad like in the 90's, but for heavy haulin', they don't compare to the Chevy/GMC Allison and Ford Torqueshift.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I have a 95 4x4 cummins and it has 265000 miles and still going.. I did have some tranny issues after I boosted up the HP a bunch, but that was the torque converter not locking up.. other than that it has been a very dependable vehicle. It has never left me stranded...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have an 06 3500 srw ctd. Only have 8500 miles on so I can't talk to durability yet but I love this truck; it's scary strong. I also have an 82 Dodge with 390,000 on it, 318 gas engine. Not much is original anymore but it's been through &*^%. My guess on the tranny issues on past models is that you can easily modify the CTD to deliver LOTS more power and the trannys couldn't handle it.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Gottagofishin said:
The tranny is still Dodge's weak link IMO. They're not bad like in the 90's, but for heavy haulin', they don't compare to the Chevy/GMC Allison and Ford Torqueshift.
That's because Mercedes builds transmissions used in the '06's and nothing comes even close to the improvement that made. You gotta own one to know, and this is my fourth Cummings, and 2nd Ford. Both are great trucks, but the Cummings has it all over the Ford in terms of friendly towing. Wish I could say the same about Weekend Warriors FS2500's, lmao. But I am getting there. Thank you Resse products.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
If I could get a Dodge Cummins diesel in a Ford Chassis, I'd have the perfect truck.
Word. I love the Cummins engine but hate what they wrapped around it. I like my King Ranch Superduty.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts