2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jacka$$ Moment
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick the brain of some of you Dodge diesel owners. I have the '04 with a 5.9 diesel in it and have noticed that there is a fairly loud, low toned drone sound between 60 and 70 mph. Is this normal? If I let off the gas, it stops. As soon as any throttle is given, it comes back in. It starts at exactly 60mph but does seem to ease up at faster speeds. Any ideas what it might be? I'm no mechanic by any means, but think it may be fuel delivery issues since it stops as soon as I let off the gas. Any help folks? Thanks

Dook

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Probably just exhaust drone when you get to the RPM's you run at those speeds.

Just to make sure, run it up to those speeds in Tow/Haul mode to see if it's still there. I have the same truck, but it's been so long since I had the stock exhaust, I don't remember what it sounded like.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ring and Pinion wear

Sounds like a worn ring and pinion. Need to isolate were the noise is coming from. Your description is typical of a worn ring and pinion

·
Team Solid Action
199 Posts
did you buy the truck used? if so, maybe the previous ower removed the cat and/or muffler. it sounds to me like its drone from a certain rpm range, which can typically be caused by your exhaust....and can be fixed by putting a better muffler on. check out hushpower, silverline, or aeroturbine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
same noise

i own a 05 dodge diesel as well as 3 other friends of mine and they all have the same noise from the dealer. two of ours are considerably more noticeable because we had straight pipes. It seems to be the same thing you are talking about . As soon as you hit 60 mph it gets a deep tone in the cab and continues until hit 75 or let off the gas.

·
Jacka$$ Moment
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i own a 05 dodge diesel as well as 3 other friends of mine and they all have the same noise from the dealer. two of ours are considerably more noticeable because we had straight pipes. It seems to be the same thing you are talking about . As soon as you hit 60 mph it gets a deep tone in the cab and continues until hit 75 or let off the gas.
Yep, that is EXACTLY the noise I'm talking about. I guess it is normal. Thanks

Dook

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I had the drone with my aftermarket exhaust on my 05 but didnt notice it with the stock exhaust. my 09 has no drone at all, can barely tell it is a diesel except on start up, its freakin quiet......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts