2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of having to document their boats with the coast guard in order to get financed when buying it? I was told I had to do this and did. With the new law requiring documented vessels to now have 'TX' numbers also, my dealer (the boat was used) has been unable to find the original receipt stating he has paid the taxes.
Should I be suspicious?................

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Documented vessels may need to be documented for finance purposes because documented vessels require certain safety equipement, inspections etc. That's my best guess on that one. Under the new law, you don't need TX numbers, just the sticker. I just got finished going through this. As far as taxes go, get out your sales receipt. If that tax isn't on there as calculated, then you probably didn't pay it. If you can't find your receipt, the "dealer" should have it. He'll need that for his own IRS records at the end of the year so you can bet he has a copy. If not, then you probably didn't pay taxes and I'd be very very worried about that dealer. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I checked my sales reciept, and it says the taxes are included in the sales price (it is not itemized stating exactly what the taxes were). The taxes would be around 6 or 7 thousand. I guess I will have to check back and hope the dealer "finds" the reciept he says he paid for the taxes.

I am not fred by the way. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a 30 ft w/twin Yamaha 250's. We love it! It is the smoothest and one of the dryest rides we have been in. The only downside on the boat is for the trade off of the good ride we cruise about 25 to 30 mph; not as fast as we had hoped but well worth the other benifits I mentioned. We have not had any problems with her. The steering can be tricky but we have autopilot which eliminates dealing with it. Let me know if any other info needed; a definite yes if you have the opportunity to purchase one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts