2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you ever had something you wish you had in camo, but, couldn't find it or it wasn't available? Or maybe an old gun that you didn't want to spend $250-$300 on? Well, I've found the answer!! I originally saw this kit in another forum and was really impressed with some of the things people were able to camo. So, I thought I'd give it a try. It is REALLY cool!!

Basically, it's a DIY Water Transfer Printing (Hydrographing) kit. There are some tricks to the technique (which I haven't mastered yet :D), but, it's not near as hard as you'd think and fun as he!!.

They are apparently available several places online, but, I bought mine from www.timbersedgecamo.com

I'm about to start prepping a gun stock, but, here are a couple of small items I did last Saturday. Let me know what you think. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
That is pretty cool...
Does it work on skin? Does it wash off?

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,603 Posts
It turned out pretty good...you missed the switch though you did get the face plate. :D

TH

·
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your bored ;) .. Can you put in on metal? ie, gun barrell ??
Yes, you just need to buy a self etching primer so that it will adhere to the metal.

I just got some self etching primer, so, I'm gonna try some metal items soon.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
Unlike you HP, I don't wear latex underwear.

I'm strictly 100% cotton and unfortunately, it won't work on cotton.
Now that you have tried it, do you think one kit would do the barrel and action+scope on an average rifle? I have one of those cheap Nikon Monarch's i wouldn't mind trying it on!

·
9,095 Posts
Doesn't look to strenuous....But he kept saying it was plastic, i don't know if that would be good for moisture resistance on a Gun.....Let us know!:eek: :)

·
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't look to strenuous....But he kept saying it was plastic, i don't know if that would be good for moisture resistance on a Gun.....Let us know!:eek: :)
I'm not sure what he was saying was plastic.....it's an ink. It's the exact same process used to dip guns professionally (same films, everything), just very manual in a DIY kit.

In fact, the company that makes the kits, Liquid Print www.liquidprintone.com supplies the water transfer imaging industry with equipment, films and other raw materials.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Guys! Thank you very much to TXPalerider for turning me on to this forum! If you haven't seen these kits they are really worth checking out! It is the same water transfer printing process that is done commercially in a in home dipping kit. Basicly any hard surface object can be dipped with these kits. From guns and bows to tackle boxes and fishing rods. These kits come with everything you need except a container to dip in and hot water! Metal objects can be done as well, all you need is an etch primer that creates a more efficient bond to the metal surface. This primer can be picked up at any local hardware store. The cpo primer that comes with the kits is good for just about anything else. When activator is applied to the film, the film dissolves leaving ink floating on top of the water which is essentially what will be applied to your object when dipped. This process will bring new life to whatever object you are wanting to dip. You can go to our website at www.timbersedgecamo.com, click on the instructional video link and see exactly how this process works!

·
9,095 Posts
Hey Guys! Thank you very much to TXPalerider for turning me on to this forum! If you haven't seen these kits they are really worth checking out! It is the same water transfer printing process that is done commercially in a in home dipping kit. Basicly any hard surface object can be dipped with these kits. From guns and bows to tackle boxes and fishing rods. These kits come with everything you need except a container to dip in and hot water! Metal objects can be done as well, all you need is an etch primer that creates a more efficient bond to the metal surface. This primer can be picked up at any local hardware store. The cpo primer that comes with the kits is good for just about anything else. When activator is applied to the film, the film dissolves leaving ink floating on top of the water which is essentially what will be applied to your object when dipped. This process will bring new life to whatever object you are wanting to dip. You can go to our website at www.timbersedgecamo.com, click on the instructional video link and see exactly how this process works!
I guess that answer's my questions...now to build a tank to dip my 700 in! First i'll do a cheap scope!:D

·
9,095 Posts
I'm not sure what he was saying was plastic.....it's an ink. It's the exact same process used to dip guns professionally (same films, everything), just very manual in a DIY kit.

In fact, the company that makes the kits, Liquid Print www.liquidprintone.com supplies the water transfer imaging industry with equipment, films and other raw materials.
I was thinking to do a scope that cellophane covered in wax should protect the lenses...any thought's?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts