2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching NCIS tonight and it brought back memories from school. The old Ditto machine. I haven't thought about that in years. When I was in school I was one of the few that was selected to work in the office and had to run the Ditto machine for all the teachers. The next thing that came to mind after seeing the machine was the smell of freshly copied papers. It is a one of a kind smell that I'll never forget.

With all the technology today this is a long forgotten Dinosaur from the past.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,196 Posts
Between my dad working at a school and my mom working at a church, I remember something about a bunch of the "gel" plates always in the refrigerator or something: apparently something to do with the mimeograph?? Kinda fuzzy...

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
i'm not old enough to remember using any of those things, but onion skin paper has got to be the worst invention ever, or at least in the top 10. i have to deal with that stuff daily and most of it is older then dirt and you can barely read it and don't try to feed it through a copy machine or scan it cause it'll come out in shreds. next would be microfiche, or the blue ink they used to print logs. get that stuff when it is wet or has been wet and the smell from the ammonia could knock you out.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,526 Posts
When I was a rookie teacher in '97 you had a choice. You could PAY to use the copy machine to make your tests/worksheets for the kids, or you could use the ancient ditto machine. Man my arm got tired cranking that thing. I'm getting paid $18,000 a year and you want me to PAY to use the copy machine? The next year we got a real cutting edge alternative - a well used, and usually broken Risograph machine. You got ink all over yourself when you had to change the master copy on the drum.

Now I'm livin' in luxury with a Risograph that actually changes the master for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts