2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinkin Im goin with the stne crab claws and shimp and mixed veggies on the side......................................later,Dave

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Rosie and I are going with big thick ribeyes, baked tater, salad, and garlic bread.....

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Just a few years ago I saw a movie with Billy Crystal and Jack Palance called City Slickers. It was about a buch of city types on a long round-up and trail ride with a bunch of cows.

There were a couple of guys in there that were always talking about what Icecream made the best desert after any given meal. I have been kind of doing that in my mind ever since, except I don't limit myself to just icecream.

After giving your dinner menu some thought I'd recommend a nice blackberry cobbler with a big scoup of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla icecream. :)

Dessert or no, your dinner sounds gooood!
Bon Appitite

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Well, we're roughin it here tonight

Being as I have a full kitchen about 20ft from my workstation and going outside tonight is looking less likely by the minute we are gonna scrounge tonight. I stopped on the way in and bought five lbs of fresh jumbo shrimp, stuff for onion rings and hush puppies, and we're gonna top it off with a scoop or two of Rocky Road Blue Bell. Man its a rough life, but somebody has got to do it! :)

Zac

·
6,429 Posts
********* said:
Being as I have a full kitchen about 20ft from my workstation and going outside tonight is looking less likely by the minute we are gonna scrounge tonight. I stopped on the way in and bought five lbs of fresh jumbo shrimp, stuff for onion rings and hush puppies, and we're gonna top it off with a scoop or two of Rocky Road Blue Bell. Man its a rough life, but somebody has got to do it! :)

Zac
No wonder the plants blowup round here, a major lighting storm going on and yer cookin shrimp...LOL j/k

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
What?

You want me outside while its going on? Thats what the green horns are for. We took a hit last week, oohweee. Got high vibration alarms on every pump in the joint. Dad gum painters were runnin for the porta potties! LOL

Z

·
6,429 Posts
Ain't there a tower with a safety valve on top that you need to check ??? LMAO...

It just hit here hard, be carefull out there my bro.....

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Thank you for calling....please hold

Yes we ordered Pizza Hut tonight. Just the three of us and a movie.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I decided to make some Mexican Cornbread...it's in the oven baking now... complete with ground beef, cheese, and jalapenos baked inside...just took it out of the oven...and I have a pot of pinto beans with jalapenos to go with it...yum, yum...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Wendi you know I want that recipe,right?Darn that looks so good......so hook me up.Thinkin about tomorrow night................................later,Dave

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Wendi, could you put that up on the recipe board? That is my kind for chow! You just can't beat the black iron skillet for cooking some dishes. I have one that my mother gave me and my first wife when we got married...in '65. She told me that my dads mother gave it to her when she and Dad got married...in '42. I don't know wherre my grandmother got it or how long she used it before she gave it to my mother but Dad says she was using it as far back in his childhood as he can remember.

I guess a good ballpark guess is that it is now about 80 years old. We still use it all the time.

So....I'll be keepin' my eyes peeled for that recipe. Thanks in advance! :D

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye out myself

My wife uses Iron for almost everything. The best tasting food!!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
That does look scrumptious

Please put that one up. Even as stuffed as I am it still looks good. Please Lord dont let nuttin break for the rest of the night. Im in no condition to be runnin up any stairs, remember them days Jack? LOL Rain, Rain, Go Away, Please come back another day!

Z

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
Recipe for Mexican Cornbread...

Here it is...

1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 eggs-beaten
1 #303 can of cream style corn
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
slightly less than 1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
Mix above ingredients and set aside.

Saute 1/2 lb. of ground meat with one chopped onion. Drain. Pour a thin coat of oil in the bottom of a cast iron skillet until the bottom is covered. Heat on stove burner until the grease gets hot. Pour 1/2 of the cornmeal mixture in the skillet and take off the burner (this helps the cornbread not to stick after it bakes). Layer your ground beef, 8 ounces of grated cheese, and 4-5 chopped jalapenos. Pour the other 1/2 of the mixture on top and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

I always use a pound of ground beef in mine though and add a couple more jalapenos. When you're layering the cheese, be sure not to get it too close to the edge of the pan because it'll stick to the edges and make it hard to get out of the pan. When it's done baking, I always use a butter knife and go around the edges to help unstick it though. Then I place a plate on top of the cornbread in the skillet and flip it over onto the plate. My skillet wasn't seasoned that well last night and it stuck to the bottom of the skillet...didn't look that good after I had to use a spatula to scrape it out, but it sure tasted good anyway. I cut it like a pizza slice. I had beans to go with it last night, but it's pretty much a meal within itself. This makes for wonderful leftovers too! Enjoy!

Hey WJ, the cast iron skillet was given to me by my grandmother too. She gave me a couple of them and I use them alot!

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
That sounds good and easy for me

I guess I will try it tonight (if I get permission). BTW, I'm not the kitchen cook in the family, I'm the eater! My wife is the cook, I can mess but not much to brag about...now the grill I can handle. I'm not sure how old her iron is but it has been around for several generations as hand downs and I'm not allowed to touch them any more. I cleaned them real good one time and that was it.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Thanks Wendi. That is awesome! I now have that one tucked away in my personal recipe collection and I can't WAIT to give it a whirl!

I know what you mean about the seasoning thing. The last department I worked in at Shell was a unit that allowed a lot of time for cooking and we had a great kitchen set-up on one end of the control room. We had 2 black iron skillets, a big one and a small one. It used to really grind my gears to come in to work and see them laying in a sink, soaking in SOAPY WATER!! It was me and one other guy in the department that kept them seasoned and in good shape, otherwise they would have been ruined.

All the new teflon/no-stick stuff is great, but you just can't beat black iron for some things. It will always be part of my arsenal.

Gotta go thaw out some hamburger meat..............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts