2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a fresh trout and flounder in the fridge that I didn't want to have to freeze, I somehow threw together a great meal here in the bachelor pad. It's so good I had to tell y'all about it.

I had these 2 fish that Mr.Robo57 caught on Tuesday. One flouder and one speck that he had nicely donated to me. I had the leftover bait shrimp that Stuart supplied, and I had an onion. Nothing else in the kitchen appealed to me, so I got out 2 iron skillets and started messing around. What happened is beyond description.

I chopped the onion up and tossed it in a heated skillet with some grapeseed oil and a good deal of rosemary donated to me by VJER's wife Lynne. I sauteed this for a minute until the onions just barely began to caremelize and I threw in the trout fillets. I cut the heat to low and dropped a little Zatarain's liquid crab boil in and covered it up. In the other pan, I threw in the flounder fillets I had left the skin on and rubbed with Tony's and some crushed garlic and heated them dry on very low heat for a moment and drizzled some water and a small splash of Zatarain's crab boil in the pan and covered it.

I went back to the first pan after a few minutes and the fish had begun to cook over the onions, so I dropped in the peeled bait shrimp and covered it again and left everything on LOW heat after dashing everything with some cilantro and basil.

I was obviously just guessing as I did all this, but believe me when I tell you, the results were amazing. I let all this go on low heat while I watched an episode of That 70's Show and I checked it all out. The flounder was cooked so I scraped the meat off the skin and put it into the pan with the shrimp, trout, and onions which had cooked up nicely as well. I turned up the heat and mixed it all together for a minute while I basked in the aroma.

I dished it all out onto a platter and drizzled it with fresh lemon juice.

OH MY! As we say in Louisiana, "TALK ABOUT GOOD!". I'm wondering if I'm missing my true calling here by teaching and coaching. Perhaps I'm destined to be the accidental chef. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

I wish I had a camera, but it wouldn't do the flavor justice. I suggest y'all try something like this. It was truly incredible. - Coach

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Tiki Snack

Well I was waiting for the pictures dang it shure sounded good. Here is a picture of a little snack we had at Tiki the other day.

Attachments

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what made me use the crab boil. It was sitting there and I just used a few drops. It really made the difference. - Coach

·
Banned
724 Posts
Coach, my Momma who is a Cajun always says..."the secret to being a good cook is spices, and imagination"

Sounds like you already have that figured out !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts