2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son David (16) and I headed out towards Brazoz Reef (SW) on Fri. and ran into "Ceviche" at a rig about 26 miles out........water was slick. We had just got there and were scoping it out when this Ling shows up. David quickly grabs a piggy and lays it out there and "wham" he was hungry. You could see the hook set good in his mouth as he swam off and after a good tug the leader breaks off! Darn, I tied the thing on there too so I'm feeling a little small at the moment. Lost a leader and a nice fish. But the day was saved when the Ceviche caught "our" fish and kindly returned our leader before they left for home. Now that's Humiliating! But they were nice about it and even gave us some ribbon fish.

We spent the night and on Sat. we were working a weed line and cranking in dorado like crazy when another Ling show up and hits a herring. But this fish is a passivist and won't fight. Don't want to gaff cause not sure of the size. David says would be nice to have a tail gaff so I grab some rope and try to lasso the tail.....not even close and very lame and looking like a fool in front of my son....not good! So he says get on the swim platform and see if you can grab him. OK, he's in charge now...I had my chance and I choose the lasso as my instrument of death so I'm now the crew and doing like I'm told get on the platform. He leads the fish right to me and grab a handful of tail but fish too strong. I tell him to try again and know I can get him with 2 hands...so around he comes and grab' em. Ok, now what? He's trying to spit the hook and apparently not the passivist I thought he was. David is yelling for me to grab his "eyes" but the fish won't cooperate. We are not fishing anymore...this is a full on "FIGHT" so I'm entitled to defend myself anyway I can so I load up and punch him with a right hand that would make Muhammed Ali proud. The fish gets a standing 8 count but is back at about 3 and here we go again so I land another hard right to the head and hoping he will throw in the towel before he gets hurt. Again he takes another 3 count, and the fight is back on. One more punch and I'm going to start fighting dirty but this time he goes out and I grab his eyes and he stays asleep till we get him measured for his cooler coffin and he'd good at 39".

Had a great time and redeemed myself for the bad tie on the main line earlier so all was good!

George

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
George, Welcome to the TTMB from the capt. and crew of the "cevechi".
Glad to see that you boated a ling after the bad luck. You sure have a nice boat. Twin 250 Suzukis if I remember correctly. Hope to see you again on the Gulf.

Tex

·
Registered
956 Posts
Congrats on the ling. I am still trying to catch my first after having lost 2 nice ones at the boat (I must blame the gaffman for one--and partly me for the other). Those ling are curious and sometimes do not fisht until they feel threatened. Hence, I lost one at gaff when I coaxed a monster ling (at least 60 pounds) to the boat green. We gaffed him in the head and he went ballistic and broke the bamboo gaff in half, broke the line, and vanished with a gaff in his head. Be careful bringing them big ones in green.

·
Registered
199 Posts
great report I would have like to have seen you and the ling fistfighting. I bet that was quite comical. Not dogging you though you gotta do what ya gotta do and I think it was pretty admirable of you to have not gaffed the fish because you werent sure if he was gonna be legal or not. some people just gaff them anyway and then measure. although I might have broke out the gaff after the first right cross didnt work lol. btw welcome to the board hope you stick around its a great place.

Ramon

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the welcome. David just bought (his own $$$...yeah!) a Penn 50 TW with a Penn Tuna Stick so he apparently has plans to move up to the heavyweight division.

I like the boat but the payments, fuel, etc. are a handful. Anyone interested in comedy is welcome to come along with us.

·
Dreamchaser
153 Posts
Welcome to the Board, Tall1fin. I am still laughing about this..."and looking like a fool in front of my son....not good! So he says get on the swim platform and see if you can grab him. OK, he's in charge now...I had my chance and I choose the lasso as my instrument of death so I'm now the crew and doing like I'm told get on the platform. " I can just imagine you thinking this in your mind as you get on the platform. Gotta love it!!! "Doing like you are told" , so funny !!! Congrats on the Ling.

My son and I were out a few years back out of Freeport. We were trolling for kings and had the game getter style metal lures on, Gold of course, best color going. We stop to eat lunch then fire up the boat, my son is at the helm. I go to the back of the boat to get ready to let out lines and this huge ling comes out from under the boat. He was at least 5 to 6 feet long. So I pick the gold game getter and let out about 20 feet, ling goes for it and then nada, I'm just thumbing the reel and telling my son to hold the slow speed, I let out about 10 more feet, he goes for it again and nada, third time letting out and I see him go again and bam, he takes it. I fight this fish on my Penn senator rod and 4/0 for about 10 or 15 minutes and telling my son exactly what it is and how big and tell him to get ready with the gaff when I played eem out. I get the fish up by the boat and back up a little, my son looks down over the side of the boat and says holy s*#@ Dad, this fish is humongous, he goes to gaff and misses, fish got away. Never will forget that experience. Wouldn't have believed he would have hit the game getter but enticed him and he went for it. Now when we eat lunch, we always check out the boat perimeter after we fire up the engine and start moving.

·
Registered
663 Posts
George,

I wondered if you had made it out on Friday! Glad to see you did! Your story is only to funny! I'm sure it will be remembered for many years by you and your son! Guess we need to get you some boxing gloves or something . . . LOL!

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing that well, er, embarrassing moment!

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
I've certainly had my share of wild experiences with ling. But, a trick I learned for handling ling many years ago, (this has probably been posted before) is to net them. Use one of those big oversized nets. They will lay in it like a baby. I've boated ling over 50#'s with this technique. Of course, when this was first suggested to me, I thought the guy was nuts. But, I'll be danged if it doesn't work. Haven't gaffed a ling in 10 years. And you never have to worry about hurting one that doesn't make the cut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts