2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using dimond jigs the last couple of years and with great success but was wondering how I could increase my hook-up percentage. I change the split ring and hooks as soon as I take them out the package and have been using owner treble hooks wich work great and are super strong. However I seem to miss a fair amount of stikes. I would have thought useing treble hooks would give me the highest hook-up % but from some of the stuff I have been reading it seems I could be wrong. I know I could rig the dimond jig the same way but use a J hook instead of a treble hook or with an assist hook from the top like other jigs. So I know the diff options just not sure if one of them is better than the others and would increase my hook-up % or if missed strikes are just comin with jig fishing. I use them when targeting AJ's, snapper, and bf tuna. Any advise from personal experiance would be great.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would reccomend using assist style hooks the hookup to land ratio is a lot better with that setup then the traditional treble hook style.

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
When using diamond jigs, I rig them with a pair of scissor hooks on the bottom eye.

Scissor hooks are a pair of single hooks facing each-other. They'll make a teardrop looking shape when just dangling there. When pushed against the shank, they both come out to the sides. That may sound confusing, but basically put a pair of single hooks on the split ring, facing each other. I use pretty big hooks.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
When using diamond jigs, I rig them with a pair of scissor hooks on the bottom eye.

Scissor hooks are a pair of single hooks facing each-other. They'll make a teardrop looking shape when just dangling there. When pushed against the shank, they both come out to the sides. That may sound confusing, but basically put a pair of single hooks on the split ring, facing each other. I use pretty big hooks.
Mongo say "peecher, please, I need a picture."

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ditto on the assist hooks, I lost several tuna the last trip out because the tuna grabbed the jig from the middle and spit it when it reached the surface. The metal diamond jig had teeth marks in the middle where he chewed it. Also lesson learned don't buy the cheap ones, I lost a fish that pulled the hook loose, (the eye was soldered instead of solid shank through entire jig to eye ring on both ends)

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
definitely lose all trebles IMO........ assists and/or j-hooks (or heavy gorilla live bait hook)....... or use both the assists and the single j-style hooks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
what they said. I usually rig mine with a single J hook on the end with the usual heavy split rings and an assist hook on the top. You want the assist hook to hand about 50-70% down the lure. The assist hook probably increased my solid hookups by a third to a half.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank yall for the advice I can't wait to get out on the water and try the new rigs and have increased hooh-up %. Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts