2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A friend in the restaurant business for 40+ years, now retired, turned me on to cracker meal years ago. When Panko crumbs got to be all the rage, he said, "or you could just keep using cracker meal. It's a lot cheaper."

·
Registered
547 Posts
Never tried McCormicks cracker meal. I have used Ritz crackers before and it was good. Have to be careful how much salt you use on the fish tho since the Ritz has a good amount of salt.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I recall Brad King mentioning this on one of his videos'. Is this the same as crumbling crackers?
Yes. I'm sure you can buy it already crushed and packaged, but all I've ever done is crumble them into a freezer style zip-lock bag, burp the air out, seal it and pound them with the bottom of a small sauce pan. I have been known to add a small amount of cornmeal to mine for fish, but not for shrimp.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,971 Posts
Saltines all ground up has been my favorite way to fry fish forever. Dip in egg and then cracker crumbs.

The OP's comment "let the fish talk for itself" is true. The crackers just compliment the actual fish flavor rather than over powering it like some do.

To me, the saltines are not too salty, and some may prefer just a little bit more salt than the cracker crumbs have already.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Another thing I do to fish before I fry it is soak it for 30 minutes in a buttermilk bath (enough to cover the fillets completely) before the egg dip and cracker meal. Not so much for flounder, but trout and reds for sure.

·
Who said that was spicy?
1,791 Posts
Sprinkle your dry herb seasoning mix on the fish instead of adding it to the flour mix.

Then you can quickly pan fry in a hot searing skillet or…..you can batter using your favorite method and then fry.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Another option if you like panko. Season your fillets however you like and let them sit briefly to pull just a little moisture out of the meat. Roll them in rice flour and shake off the excess. Dip them in egg wash. Roll them in panko bread crumbs and then fry them.

We use to use cracker meal a whole lot as a kid but mainly on shrimp. I still do it once in awhile and it's very good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I love to fry fish different ways. Bag batter mixes, or make my own with just corn meal, or corn meal with a little flour, crush up crackers, I like them all and like to change it up every now and then.

I also love to soak fish in Beer and Mustard for a couple hours, drag through a corn meal mix and fry, good stuff!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts