2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone more prop savvy than me can answer this. I am looking to buy a "spare" aluminum prop, and i figured since im spending the money, ill try and see what a 3 blade with a slightly different pitch will do for me. Ive found two, a rebuilt and a used. The props are exact same part #'s, but the rebuilt has very pointed blades, while the "used" prop has rounded blades. Do any of yall know what the effects of this difference will hold. Im trying to get a tad bit more speed out of the rig. The props are identical except for the blades.

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would say the prop with the slimmer blades would give you more speed and the rounded blades would give you more lift and/or hole shot. If both props are the same pitch. You also need to measure across the widest point of the blades and see if they have the same dia. Can you tell if the blades have the same cup? Alot of times shops will put more cup to the blade to help with lifting rather than changing the pitch... I would suggest taking them to a prop shop and let them guage wether or not they have been cupped.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks o_brother,

This is E-bay deal or i would. Diameter is same, just the corners of blades are pointed on one, and other is rounded. Really doesnt matter to me with the holeshot as this one is only being used to "guage" what a 3-blade different pitch could do for me. If it works out i will probably replace my current 4-blade with this setup, stainless of course.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F115 yamaha on 19' Flats cat. Right now it has a power tech 4 blade 13.25X15. good prop and does what we want but i need a spare and while im at it, i figured might as well play alittle bit. A few more mph wouldnt hurt. Fully loaded we are in low-mid 30's. Not expecting to turn it into an SCB or anything. Im also fighting a raised console, poling platform etc. ALOT of alum on this rig.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i personaly do not run a aluminun prop,i do have ss prop for a backup.i just think
buying an al prop is a waste of money.find a good used ss prop,youll be much happier
with a ss.a 21 pitch alumi and a 21 pitch ss will have different performance #'s.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
get a spare from bauman's and save yourself some grief, what if the hub is bad ??

michigan wheel makes new ones pretty cheap also

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried Baumann twice already, seems like hes too busy. Heard lots of good things, but everytime we call or shoot email, no avail. i know the performance numbers will be different, but how much are we talking? I was planning on getting a SS that works better for me and saving the 4blade SS i have currently as backup. But a couple hundred bucks a pop is tough to stomach for "testing".

·
Registered
469 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts