2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was discussed quite a bit awhile back, but I was unable to locate the thread with a quick search. Anyway, I'm looking to possibly get a new truck and if I can afford it, I'd like to get a diesel.

Ford: I would think I can get a good deal on a 2004 w/ the 2005's being out already, but I've heard some bad reports on the 6.0 PowerStroke that makes me nervous. Thoughts?

Dodge: The Cummins is supposed to be great, but I'm not sure I'd be real confident in the Dodge quality around it. Of the big 3, these seem to be the least expensive. Thoughts?

GMC: (I don't like the new Chevy front ends) I've heard great things about the DuraMax and the Allison transmission, problem is I want to say they are the most expensive. Thoughts?

I put a good deal of miles on a vehicle, which is the main interest in diesel for me. I don't tow anything heavy to speak of. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
I have a Dodge 99 with 150k miles on it, and you are right too some degree. There are a lot of nit picky things wrong with the truck, door lock motors, abs sensor and had to replace the light switch. But as far as major mechanical i have had no problems. I personally think the Dodges are a better looking truck. The Chevy I really haven't heard any reports on, the Ford i have heard mixed reviews some like the 6.0 some don't. But just about everyone I speak with on Dodges loves them. I have found very few people who have bought them and didn't care for them. They pull like a mule and get decent fuel economy (I get 18.5mpg 99 4x4 3/4 ton) any ways my .2 cents.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I loved my Dodge cummins 2500 4x4. I put that truck through hell from towing to driving through ponds (water half way up the windshield) and it just kept truckin. Like said above I only had one problem with the drivers side door lock actuatior, but it way an easy fix in the driveway, only taking 20-30 mins.............................later,Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ive been looking at diesels for the past month or so. This is what I think. Dodge and Ford have the best diesles. Dodge is the best bang for the buck, but the 4dr is not a true 4dr truck. Ford is a true 4dr truck, but dosent have the options that Chevy offers, and it dosent seem to ride as smooth. Chevy is the most expensive, but offers the most options and has the smoothest ride.

If you want a Chevy right now is the time to buy one. All 2004's have 0% financing through the end of the month. I have been looking for a 2004 4dr, 4x4, Duramax, loaded w/leather for the past week or so, but havent been able to find what I want. I only tow my boat about once a month (a total of about 100 miles), but I am looking for something that has more power than my Avalanche, but that still has the same luxuries it has. The fewer stops between fill ups is also nice.

BTW, if you buy a truck, DONT GO TO CHAMPION IN CORPUS!!!! LOL. They wanted to come $1k off the sticker of a $49k truck, and they told me it was a good deal! LOL They also wanted to give me about $6k less for my trade in than the LOW TRADE IN VALUE.

Good luck!

Zach

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Zach H said:
BTW, if you buy a truck, DONT GO TO CHAMPION IN CORPUS!!!! LOL. They wanted to come $1k off the sticker of a $49k truck, and they told me it was a good deal! LOL They also wanted to give me about $6k less for my trade in than the LOW TRADE IN VALUE.

Good luck!

Zach
LMAO! Walked in and walked out with my hand ocer my wallet or there abouts.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I've got an '03 Ford F250 6.0L crewcab and have had it about 13 months now with zero problems in 32,000 miles. It regularly gets around 15-16 mpg city, 17-18 city/highway and around 19 highway only.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
How many miles are you driving per year and/or what heavy loads are you pulling a lot? Yes, diesels get better mpg, but obviously they also cost a lot more initially. After the initial purchase, every thing you do to them also cost more. Oil changes, tires, air filters, fuel filters etc... I'd love to have one, but I did the math and it just didn't compute for my situation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Love my Chevy

I bought an 02 duramax and I'm still lovin it the engine is actually an Isuzu commercial truck engine but the Allison tranny is a dream, switch to tow/haul mode and the performance is excellent I get about 19mpg on the hwy and 16-17 when towing the 4wd is an easy button push to activate but I'm still leary of putting it in the mud, in the sand it has been unstoppable. I am glad I bought the 02 don't like the front end on the newer mods. Oh yeah can you hear me over that Dodge that is so noisy? my2

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Stuart makes a good point. For me, I drive about 30K per year for work, towing my boat, etc. so the fuel savings easily cover the extra costs of a diesel. He brings up some other points to ponder in your decision.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
I looked long and hard, and I think Ford builds the best truck at the best price. Some people have had problems with the '03 models (mainly due to the C94 injectors which they replaced with the C95 injectors in Sept. '03). I haven't heard of any major problems with the '04 models. I love mine. If you want the best gas mileage, go Dodge, but expect the truck to fall apart slowly around the motor. If you have a few extra bucks and want the most power, performance, and best interior (best leather, by far!), buy the Ford. If you have a lot of extra bucks, overpay for the Chevy which offers you worst in class in pretty much every category! ;) :p Just kidding! The Chevy is a good truck, but is absolutely no better than the Ford, and costs about $3k more. Not sure why, though.

Dad just bought a new Dodge diesel, but I'm not sure what he paid. From the research I did, you can expect to get a loaded out Dodge with every option (4x4, leather, etc) for around $35k, Ford for around $37k, and Chevy for around $40k or so. FYI, on a '04 model Ford, I would try for about $12k off sticker price (what I paid).

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Ford

Where is Shaddy? I know i can smell him a comin'! Seriously Woodrow, I bought a new '04 F250 6.0 CC 4x4 Lariat back in June and i absolutely love this truck, for the most part Ford has worked out most of the kinks in the 6.0, here is a site that can pretty much answer ANY questions you have about the Ford 6.0. One more thing, if you do decide to go with an '04 ford do not pay anymore than 9-10k under sticker, it can easily be done, in fact a couple of straight shooting salesman hang out on this website below that will give you an honest deal

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

haha, i knew he would be here, he even beat my post!

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Hey Shaddy, why did I know that you would post on this thread.....LMAO

·
Old ******
4,519 Posts
I had an 02 Ford F-250 with the Powerstroke and traded it recently for the GMC with the Duramax. It was the best move I've ever made. The Jimmy is much quieter, has a substantially better low gear (like a real truck should be), has a turning radius that the Ford or Dodge could never touch and the Allison is so far out ahead of the other truck transmissions that it doesn't even bear comparison. The interior in mine is all leather with power everything and that's on both seats...not just the driver's seat like Ford does it. The seat heating is superior to the Ford too. After a day or weekend of fishing my lower back hurts like crazy and that adjustable heat for the seat back and cushion makes it all better before I get home.

The power is not quite as outrageous as the Dodge or Ford but in mud and sand it gets you where you need to go and the low-end torque is perfect at the ramp. It is also a bit lower and that helps getting in and out even though it has bars. The ride is as smooth as any car I've been in (except maybe a Caddy). I trade trucks every two years or so and it is hands-down the best truck (out of many) I've ever owned. I hope my Dad doesn't read this or he'll kill me. He's MOPAR to the bone.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
I think I've learned more on this thread than I can contribute, Woodrow. Anyway, Got a 2001 Dodge 2500 a couple years back, mainly for heavy towing and bang for the buck. On the plus side, I think Dodge has come a long way in quality... I've had no problems with this truck or the 1500 before that. I also get 22 mpg which is nice when you commute 65 miles one way. That said, it's definitely louder and a stiffer ride than several friend's Fords. Have had Ford gas pickups in the past and love 'em. Never owned/ridden in a Chevy Diesel so can't compare. My thought for next truck is trade off the diesel for the 4x4 capability and will probably look at a Ford again. Good luck.

++++++++++++++++++
hey, deer ... that looks almost like my truck!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Team Sponge said:
I had an 02 Ford F-250 with the Powerstroke and traded it recently for the GMC with the Duramax. It was the best move I've ever made. The Jimmy is much quieter, has a substantially better low gear (like a real truck should be), has a turning radius that the Ford or Dodge could never touch and the Allison is so far out ahead of the other truck transmissions that it doesn't even bear comparison.
I guess you haven't looked at the new '03 and up Ford, because the Powerstroke is MUCH quieter than the Duramax now thanks to pilot injection (the Dodge is also MUCH quieter than the Chevy), the Ford TorqShift transmission has the same 1st gear as the Allison, and most independent reviews have rated the TorqShift as a better transmission for towing than the Allison, because every gear is equal or lower in the TorqShift than in the Allison, except reverse. I still haven't figured out why they made reverse such a high gear in the TorqShift, but oh well. The one thing you posted above that is correct is that, if I remember correctly, I think the Chevy does have a better turning radius than the Ford if you can afford to drop the extra dough to go with the Quadrasteer.

Update: Turning radii are Dodge (52ft), Chevy (53.5ft), Ford (56.5ft). Keep in mind that the Dodge isn't a true crew-cab like the Chevy and Ford, and the Ford is quite a bit bigger inside than the Chevy. Leg room is Chevy (41.3" front, 39.1" rear), Dodge (41" front, 36.4" rear), Ford (41" front, 41.7" rear). Overall truck length is Chevy (256.2"), Dodge (249.7"), Ford (261.8"). Also, power driver and passenger seats are standard with the Lariat trim on the Fords.

Here's a good article about the Ford '03 and '04 models. There is a comparison on page 3 between the TorqShift and Allison trannies:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2003/ford/superduty/first_drive/page1.html

Another quick blurb about the Ford:

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/2003/1/new_cars_0103/index3.phtml

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
One more before bed. Here is an article on heavydutytrucking.com :

Ford 6-Liter Power Stroke

A horsepower race has developed among manufacturers of heavy duty pickups, and Ford is now king -- at least of diesels. Its new International-built Power Stroke V-8 has leapfrogged ahead of the competition in both power and torque.
The new 6-liter Power Stroke makes 325 hp and 560 pounds-feet, compared to the 305/555 from the just-shown Dodge Cummins Turbodiesel and 300/520 from General Motors' Duramax, introduced two years ago. The new engine replaces the 7.3-liter diesel.
International also uses the new 6-liter diesel, which it calls the VT365, in its medium-duty 4200 model, but its commercial-style ratings are far lower than Ford's. More than nine out of 10 of the new engines will go to Ford for use in its popular pickups and other light trucks, both firms say.
Ford recently demonstrated the Power Stroke in its latest SuperDuty F250 and F350 pickups at a press event. It hitched heavy trailers to its vehicles and to the latest Dodge and Chevrolet heavy pickups, and let reporters make judgments on acceleration, hill climbing and quietness. As one might expect, Ford's trucks came out best.
Most comparisons were apples-to-apples, with similar vehicle configurations and engine ratings. However, Dodge suffered in the diesel comparison because its high-output Cummins cannot yet be had with an automatic transmission. Ford, contending that most customers buy an automatic, matched its 325-hp Power Stroke against the 250-hp Dodge-Cummins. Of course, the Dodge couldn't perform as well in any power contest.
Ford's new Torqshift five-speed automatic performed well behind the V-8 diesel, with smooth, almost imperceptible up- and down-shifts. A Tow mode holds upshifts and induces downshifts on downgrades and while braking to a stop. In most ways it imitates the Allison 1000 that GM uses in its Duramax-powered Chevy and GMC pickups, but the Torqshift seems smoother.
Ford continues its "three-cab strategy" in pickups, with two-door regular cab, four-door SuperCab and four-door SuperCrew models. So does GM, with similar models, but Dodge has dropped its extended Club Cab and has only regular and Quad Cab versions. The rear seat area in Ford's SuperCrew is decidedly roomier than the Dodge, and calibrated sound meters showed that all Fords were quieter during hill climbing than competitors' trucks by one to four decibels on the A scale.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.