2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of diesel getting higher, I was wondering if anybody has ever used biodiesel. Check out the links below. I heard that by the end of winter diesel could be 3 bucks a gallon! If that's the case then I may buy the equipment to produce my own biodiesel. It comes out to about 70 cents a gallon and that beats the he!! out of the 1.95 I'm paying now.

http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp

http://www.ntxbiodiesel.com/

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told different. I was told that it would not void the warranty. Maybe a call to a dealership could clear this up. Also, my truck has 140,000 miles on it so I have no warranty. The test trucks have burned biodiesel for over 100,000 miles without any problems.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
If you're not in warranty, do your research and if it's what you want to do, go for it! If you're under warranty, I can guarantee you it will void your warranty. And the dealership doesn't decide that. Any expensive warranty claims receive scrutiny from a warranty claims adjuster, whose job it is to say NO. A problem from bad fuel would probably start with the fuel filter, which the dealership may or may not cover. If it gets to the injectors, it goes past the dealership, and if they have any idea you were using non-standard diesel, they will deny your claim every time. Be careful if you are under warranty and you go with any changes like that. Remember, "If you play, you pay." If you're not under warranty, don't worry about all that. Just research it well and make an informed decision. I haven't really looked into alternate diesel fuel sources, so I can't offer any insight or help, except to say that I doubt diesel will get anywhere over $2.20 in the south, if it gets that high. In the north where they use winter diesel (higher oil content), it will likely get up in the $2.40 range, and maybe a bit higher. Typically in the south in the summer it'll be a quarter a gallon less than regular unleaded, and in the winter it will be about a nickel higher than regular unleaded (due to increased heating fuel consumption and mixing more oil with it for winter mix in the northern states). I doubt this year will be much different. That's just my opinion, though.

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you need to put kerry in saddams place until Bush wins the election

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Nah, I don't want my avatar to be political. This avatar is strictly about the US whoopin' up on terrorists. I'm a Bush supporter, but that's not what the avatar is about. Now, after the election is a whole new story...maybe Kerry and Gore side by side gettin' whooped up on? ;)

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i called a biodiesel dealer and he said that the total package to pruduce 40 gal. per day is about $4500.00. I think if 3 or 4 people went in on it that lived close to eachother it could work out pretty good. Spilt 4 ways you could pay for it within 4-6 months.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I don't think any fuel price will go down much

you could think of this as a "test" and because the country did not collaspe (as many feared) the price will stay close to what it is, that is unless it just continues to go up. I would say I want an electric car but since my electric bill has doubled in the last few months that's not really an option. Fred Flintstone got pretty good speed and milage out of his setup, I wonder if I could somehow make that work for me..LOL

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
biodiesel

bill said:
I would say I want an electric car
I don't think that it would pull my boat!!! I found a supply of used peanut oil from a restaurant by my house. All I need to do now is buy the biodiesel processer, and the nads to spend $4,500 in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts